ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (6/31) > >>

40hz:
Question: did you ever consider laptop style drives? They  already have shock protection, don't vibrate much, or take up much space. Decent capacities and lower power requirements too. Speed shouldn't be an issue for most storage - and you can always use bigger and faster  drives where/if needed.

Stoic Joker:
Question: did you ever consider laptop style drives? They  already have shock protection, don't vibrate much, or take up much space. Decent capacities and lower power requirements too. Speed shouldn't be an issue for most storage - and you can always use bigger and faster  drives where/if needed.-40hz (August 01, 2013, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mentioned that bit earlier. The 2.5" 'laptop style' drives are what all the servers are going to now anyhow and the 2.5" nearline SAS drives are screamingly fast (and not badly priced). You can pack a ton of them into a tower; the new Dell PE320's hold up to 16 drives.

rgdot:
Even members of the DC family?   :P

superboyac:
Question: did you ever consider laptop style drives? They  already have shock protection, don't vibrate much, or take up much space. Decent capacities and lower power requirements too. Speed shouldn't be an issue for most storage - and you can always use bigger and faster  drives where/if needed.
-40hz (August 01, 2013, 01:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
I already have the drives.  Many of them are 4TB.  It will be a while before the smaller drives or SSDs catch up.  I'm a sucker for huge storage!

superboyac:
Even members of the DC family?   :P
-rgdot (August 01, 2013, 02:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well...yes, I'm afraid.  Although since you guys are so knowledgeable in these areas, permission will probably be easily granted.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version