ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Please help superboyac build a server (2013 edition).

<< < (21/31) > >>

Shades:
^ +1

So you are one from the (old) school of blood and magick as well... 8)

40hz:
And now they have plastic cases without the sharp edges... so what are you going to do?  The reason that I liked metal cases is because it seemed that every time I cut myself, things would start working.  It just likes blood, you know?  Like voodoo.

Or... is that a sign of psychosis?  ;D
-wraith808 (August 07, 2013, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. The blood and the pain (and the risk of a tetanus infection) jogs some little grey cells and that one obvious beginner thing you thought you checked 200 tries earlier (but actually didn't) turns out to be the thing that needed doing.

Ten minutes plus one reboot later and you're laughing grimly to yourself while hoping nobody ever finds out about your stupid oversight. (Especially if you plan on billing them for your actual hours.) Which is yet another reason why so many sysadmins prefer to work well after regular business hours - and preferably as close to 1:00am as possible. (Even the security guards are getting sleepy and coasting by then.) We're not nighthawks by accident. It's more like it's by design. THE BOFH STILL RULEs!

Uh-oh. I said that out loud didn't I?

I just *hate* it when that happens.

8)

Vurbal:
^ +1

So you are one from the (old) school of blood and magick as well... 8)
-Shades (August 07, 2013, 08:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
You say that like there's another way...  :tellme:

Vurbal:
Nope. The blood and the pain (and the risk of a tetanus infection) jogs some little grey cells and that one obvious beginner thing you thought you checked 200 tries earlier (but actually didn't) turns out to be the thing that needed doing.
-40hz (August 07, 2013, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm certainly not going to deny that's it some of the time. We all know I'd be lying.

But, at least for me, more often than not it was things like the fact IBM buried the compatibility notes for the ServerRAID III adapter in an obscure corner of their website and didn't bother to either include them in their server docs so I would know why the 8MB of free space that should have been at the end was at the beginning where the partition should have started. Nothing more fun than spending 6 hours beating your head against a wall only to solve the problem with a Win98 boot disk.  >:(

No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?

THE BOFH STILL RULEs!
--- End quote ---

Hail to the Bastard!

Stoic Joker:
THE BOFH STILL RULEs!-40hz (August 07, 2013, 09:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hail to the Bastard!-Vurbal (August 08, 2013, 03:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

So a user asks if they can have full access to the new $30,000 business management system that I'm in the middle of deploying. This new system will (er... should) combine our current menagerie of discontiguous systems into one easily accessible "roof" if you will.

But said user wants to be hotshot and go exploring... No.

My response?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version