topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: These days, it's the Usability, stupid  (Read 4005 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
These days, it's the Usability, stupid
« on: May 08, 2006, 11:50 PM »
Two must-read articles whose content must be understood by all, if you haven't already recognized it:

#1: It's the user experience, stupid
#2: The Friendly Face of Business Software

Basically, it comes down to: "When the software works and it's easy, it catches on fast within companies [and end users!] and quickly builds a grassroots following." And I'm sure you could list a handful of programs that fit this description:

— Find and Run Robot
 — CCleaner
 — EmEditor
 — FastStone Image Viewer
 — 7-Zip archiver
 — Pixeur by Veign
 — Skype
 — WinAmp?

You get the picture.

Redhat

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: These days, it's the Usability, stupid
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:50 AM »
Agree completely, nice links - shall read in a bit! Thanks :)

Also, It's funny I use most of those apps you mention :) EmEditor, FARR, FastStone, CCleaner, Skype and 7zip!

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:02 PM »
I use a lot of those apps -- and they have grassroots followings -- but I don't think for the reasons described in all cases.  For instance, once glance at the options for F&RR or Screenshot captor and a your average cubicle dweller would ask when they get their training course on the new software :P

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Agreed. I listed Find and Run Robot because it doesn't seem difficult to use right out of the box, but not necessarily so for Screenshot Captor. I find it an advanced screen capture utility, not a basic one. Screenshot Captor just does a lot of stuff.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Agreed. I listed Find and Run Robot because it doesn't seem difficult to use right out of the box, but not necessarily so for Screenshot Captor. I find it an advanced screen capture utility, not a basic one. Screenshot Captor just does a lot of stuff.
True, i think farr was well designed. A good thing about it is that to use it, nobody needs to read the help file! And still, it's a great powertool, when well configured can do almost everything. (i say almost, because hopefully, v2 will be the one able to do everything ;) ).
As for SC, i thins it works the same way, if you use only the basic functionality, you hit printscreen and it saves the screenshot to somewhere, it's that easy. But if one wants to use the other features, one has to learn a bit...