ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Movie Banned By Censors Becomes a Piracy Hit With Kiwis

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tinman57:

I just can't believe that NZ has such rigid censorship.  Isn't NZ supposed to be a free country?  Don't look that way to me......

IainB:
Odd for NZ to ban a film in these supposedly more tolerant times. “Injurious to the public good”, eh? State censorship of anything is usually cock-eyed.
For example, the last I read of a film being banned was in the UK years ago - I think it was Straw Dogs (1971). Starring Dustin Hoffman as an American astrophysicist who has moved his family to England to get away from American violence, but then finds more violence than he could ever have imagined in his worst nightmares. Apparently, the film was banned because of a scene where his wife (played by Susan George) was raped and began to enjoy it. I saw the film on video in New Zealand, some years ago. It was quite a good film too - I see it has a 7.6 rating on IMDB. The thing is though, the film was a fiction.

Whilst the British censors might have banned something like that in 1971, the British mores are evidently different nowadays - it seems as though almost anything goes. For example, my 11½ y/o daughter drew my attention to some UK news the other day that ended up with my listening to an Oxford Union debate where it was mentioned that there had apparently been systematic grooming, raping and prostitution of underage (under 16) girls - some just children around the same age as my daughter - by a group of all/mostly Muslim men in the university town of Oxford. The group were convicted of criminal offences as a result, but it seems that the mainstream media, the police, and child protection authorities had all apparently turned a blind eye to it for some time, though it had been reported to them. Presumably the police might have been too busy fighting more serious priority crimes, but then it transpired that almost identical criminal gang activity had been occurring in other parts of the country, with similarly belated action by the MSM, the police, and the child protection authorities. That's bad enough, but the thing is, there has already been some TV documentary work about these crimes, and you can bet that somebody will make a good docu-drama film about this child-grooming at some stage, and that the censors will likely as not just let it alone because it depicts "real life", no doubt thus providing lots of good viewing for closet paedophiles whose prayers for a good, legally authorised wet-dream will have been finally answered.
I wonder, if that happened, whether it could be construed as being “injurious to the public good”, and thus censored.

Renegade:
^^ Interesting that you bring up pedophilia. There are some people that have been screaming about it for years, but, as you may well expect, they've been labeled "crazy conspiracy theorists" and dismissed. While it would be nice if they were simply crazy, reality seems to be pointing to the exact opposite.

Tinman57:
and you can bet that somebody will make a good docu-drama film about this child-grooming at some stage, and that the censors will likely as not just let it alone because it depicts "real life", no doubt thus providing lots of good viewing for closet paedophiles whose prayers for a good, legally authorised wet-dream will have been finally answered.
I wonder, if that happened, whether it could be construed as being “injurious to the public good”, and thus censored. -IainB (July 27, 2013, 07:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well now, to be fair, if it depicts youth (under 18) having sex or being raped, it would be illegal in most countries, even if the actors were over 18.  The reasoning behind this is to prevent "Jack-off" material for pedophiles..... Which opened up another controversy, isn't it better to give them "jack-off" material so they don't go looking for action?  I kid you not, this was a big controversy when it became law in the U.S..

app103:
This is a remake of the 1980 movie, that I wanted to see but couldn't. In my local theater (in the US), it was nobody under 17 admitted. (not even with a parent)

If I had showed up on time, when everyone was still in line, they wouldn't have had time to check for ID, but because I had shown up a few minutes into it, they wouldn't let me in. (I was only 15 at the time) Woman at the ticket counter told me to come back for the next showing and I would probably get in, but that would have put me past curfew by the time the movie was over.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version