topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:06 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Dopamine Driven Game Design  (Read 5879 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Dopamine Driven Game Design
« on: July 26, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Now in 2013 I have been using the term Dopamine Driven Design (DDD) privately for the last year to describe the use of techniques to optimize dopamine delivery in interactive media products. It is my belief that DDD is being used on a very rudimentary level in most social network and many mobile games currently. One company, Riot Games, has been deploying DDD capable scientists to optimize their product on a level that is beyond rudimentary. Most if not all major studios have been creating business intelligence units to optimize engagement, which in my opinion is tremendously inefficient without the presence of an embedded DDD capable scientist.

Great Read:

http://www.gamasutra...6848/Game_Dosing.php

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dopamine Driven Game Design
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. (c:

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22 PM »

I think it goes even broader to the internet as a whole. I think Internet activities as a whole are Dopamine boosters. The trick is to decide what that means in the long term holistically. I don't yet have an answer!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50 PM »
New take:

1. All of the Internet is Dopamine Driven
It's a "minor" problem for businesses when their employees lose more-than-normal (whatever that is) productive time, on the net. The best models for Net news sites are "frequent and compelling updates". So your favorite seven sites might chew half an hour to an hour of your time.

2. Quit being cavalier with Brain Words. Look at old literature and notice the huge chunks where people were bored out of their minds. First World Problem - Oh Look, people post notes on the Internet and sometimes too many at work!

Dopamine triggers with a "Payoff". So a good designed game will be ... "fun" ... to play.

3. Watch out for ReFraming. As an eight year old, I played Atari PacMan for so many hours our machine caught on fire. I think. So what. Me and my device Dad bought me. But gaming now has a lot of Sharing. Be careful. What exactly is the "gripe point" here?