topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Prim Does Your Laundry. Pickup, Wash, Fold, Delivery, Awesome (techcrunch.com)  (Read 6170 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Either way, laundry is a chore, and new Y Combinator startup Prim wants to do it for you. You can schedule Prim online to come to your place, pick up your laundry, have it washed and folded at a top-notch laundromat, and deliver it back to you. $25 for a bag. It’s that easy.

http://techcrunch.co.../07/25/prim-laundry/

You go online and select from their upcoming 9am-11am or 8pm-10pm pickup and drop-off windows. You throw your clothes in a garbage bag and wait for Prim’s text that it’ll be there in 15 minutes. The driver calls when they arrive. You can hand them the bag, leave it with your doorman, or if you’re comfortable, give them a copy of your key or send a photo of it and they’ll make a copy so they can just come into your place and grab the bag.

Wait, what?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... and then there's Crim. Drop all your small valuables into a laundry bag, give them a call, leave your keys taped to the front door and they will come to unburden you of the goodies, even leaving you a thank-you note.

:o

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
$25 for a bag of laundry? :huh: Man... I'm so cheap I won't even use the coin-op machines at my apartment and just beg family or friends to let me come do laundry at their place. There's no way I'd waste that much money on a load of laundry.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
$25 for a bag of laundry? :huh: Man... I'm so cheap I won't even use the coin-op machines at my apartment and just beg family or friends to let me come do laundry at their place. There's no way I'd waste that much money on a load of laundry.

From another perspective, since I also don't like hassle, let's say another reason this is expensive depending where you live. In my sections of Queens NYC I walk across the street *any time I want* between 8AM and 4PM-ish and drop off my laundry. It's done in a few hours. Then I walk back and pick it up. A "medium bag" is about $12. If I drop it off much later than 4 it just slides into the next day.

I'm no expert penny pincher, but $12 laundry isn't going to be the thing that sinks me! Not when it saves 4 hours of nuisance!

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

From another perspective, since I also don't like hassle, let's say another reason this is expensive depending where you live. In my sections of Queens NYC I walk across the street *any time I want* between 8AM and 4PM-ish and drop off my laundry. It's done in a few hours. Then I walk back and pick it up. A "medium bag" is about $12. If I drop it off much later than 4 it just slides into the next day.

I'm no expert penny pincher, but $12 laundry isn't going to be the thing that sinks me! Not when it saves 4 hours of nuisance!

Man, that's a rough life you have.  I just go into my laundry room in my house, 24/7 and do all the laundry I want and only have to pay for water and electricity....   :P  But even when I lived in an apartment back when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, the apartment had it's own private washing machine and dryer....

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It costs me 30.000 PGS (about 6.5 USD) each time I visit the laundry place. But for that money it is getting washed, ironed and folded. For me the hassle of not having a machine to maintain that consumes water, electricity, detergent, fabric softener, lose time doing the ironing (which is another machine to maintain, consumes quite a lot of electricity and who hasn't been hurt by the ff folding ironing board) and folding.

If there is a significant other running around the house, one quickly forgets recurring costs and the time-sink that is laundry. If you want to do it yourself, fine. If you need to do laundry in very frequent intervals, fine. But if your laundry needs are small/infrequent...why bother doing it yourself.

I calculated that if I would by a (new) machine from a decent brand and take into account the recurring costs alone, it would take me 3.5 years to break even. Besides that, I rather use the time I'm not doing laundry,ironing and folding more productively (like posting on DC  ;D)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"ironing" - what's that :P
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"ironing" - what's that :P
It used to be common but I can tell that you've developed a new wrinkle.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It costs me 30.000 PGS (about 6.5 USD) each time I visit the laundry place. But for that money it is getting washed, ironed and folded.

Similar laundry service costs US$ 0.4 per 1 kg of cloths here but it does not offer pick-up/delivery service.