ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request Thread

<< < (4/9) > >>

mouser:
maybe you are saying that the minibrowser is really a completely different kind of thing than f&r but it shares the same idea of quickly popping up to help you view/locate stuff you want.. so in your minibrowser you really are interested in having a list of "favorite" locations or html files that can easily be selected for further operation?

mouser:
- Also, I think it would cool to be able to have a list of extensions that are allowed.  Currently, you can say which extensions arent allowed, but this requires tedious entry of the many extensions one has on their computer! 
--- End quote ---

you can set scores for patterns, either positive or negative.  by putting a high positive score on *.mp3, you will basically get all mp3 files listed at top

cracksloth:
you are correct, the minibrowser has no search functions (the normal search plugin is best suited for that).  the minibrowser is simply for displaying files that are already well organized using folders (documents, music, images, shortcuts, etc.).  this would make f&r a central location for gaining access to files of any type (either by searching by keyword or if you already know the location by using the minibrowser).  so the ideas of searching and browsing are not completely unrelated.  they both are for reaching into your harddrive and pulling something out - finding some files is best achieved by searching by keyword, other files are more easily found by directly browsing to them.  f&r would become the one stop location for accessing files.  and like i said, the minibrowser is very simple so it is easier to implement than having all those search functions built in.  however, it would be nice to be able to call an alias.

-cracksloth

mouser:
ok i think i see where you are coming from now..
i use a file explorer replacement (directory opus) which has a favorites menu, and i guess i would be inclined to use such a full featured file explorer replacement for viewing favorite folders.. that's my only problem.  f&r is never going to be able to compete with such tools..

i can see that what you are wanting makes some sense.. i'm just trying to figure out how to make sense of it as part of f&r..  i definitely here the argument that you want to be able to search for different things..
i'm resisting the idea of different configuration files just because some things dont seem to make sense to be separate (ie aliases - you really dont want to have different alias sets, and keeping them all in sync accross 10 config files would be a nightmare).  i suppose i could use like a main config and a search config..

this is tricky.

mouser:
one thing you can do that is a bit closer to what you want regarding the mini browser is..
you can already specify folders in an alias.
drag and drop recurses folders so its not helpfull (i could fix this)
but if you specify a list of folders in an alias, and then type that alias,
you will get your list of folders, and clicking any of them will open them in windows explorer.

this is kind of close to what you are suggestings with the minibrowser, except it launches windows explorer.
one thing we could do is add a tab called "custom openers"
which would let you specify a program to use to open each type of file/folder, regardless of the default program you have registered for each file extension.  this would let you specify a custom file browser, html viewer, etc...

i see also that the new re-capture behavior is causing some annoying behavior when you try to launch something or view help.. f&r insists or recapturing focus... perhaps this re-capture behavior should be disabled in certain cases..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version