topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Feature Request Thread  (Read 28914 times)

DBJordan

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 02:46 PM »
I'd love a configurable shortcut key to run Find&Run. I have one of those F-Lock keyboards (darn you, Microsoft). Since I keep F-Lock on all the time, I must first press the F-Lock key then the Pause/Break key then the F-Lock key again everytime I want to bring up Find&Run. I would simply remap the keyboard scan codes, but since there's apparently no scan code for pause/break, I can't exactly do that. =)

Anyway, if I could use another key (e.g., scroll lock) to active Find&Run, that would really help me get around the limitations of my keyboard.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 02:55 PM »
this is way overdue - i will add a custom hotkey option to dialog on next version.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I think the regex idea is great... provided documentation on it is high quality!  I hadnt thought of it the way you wrote it Mouser, but I think that's a great idea (the parts I can wrap my head around!).  Could you please expound on the idea?  I understand exaclty how this works with a web url, but what else will it allow people to do?  I'm NOT saying it doesnt sound useful, to the contrary it sounds extremely powerful; I just need a few more examples.  Particularly, does this take on any of the functionality discussed above with regard to the whole config file idea?  Great idea!

Kevin

Chris

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 10:24 PM »
Another feature!

I like the idea of launching a favourite using this program. I would like the option of also searching the actual URL for the text. There could be 2 options in the search folder, one names and the second(which would be slower) the URL. Hence the slower option can be put down on the list.

There are 2 program that do have the capability of searching both name and/or URL, but neither show the results on the fly. There are DzSoft Favorites Search at http://www.dzsoft.com/ and the second is Quick Favorites Search at http://chris.id.au/

Regards

Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2005, 11:16 PM »
re: searching url titles:

the idea of searching favorites by title is a good one..
this definitely does get into the idea we have been discussing about having different kinds of searches configured,
which i still haven't figure out 100%.  but yeah i think we should be able to add that as an option.

re: regex
this doesn't really touch on the idea of multiple configurations, but basically it would let you set up any kind of commands you could want.
for example, you might want to add a command to create a new blank file in a certain directory and open it for editing.
so you might make a command like
medit (.*)

which executed a command like "C:\Program Files\UltraEdit.exe C:\MyDocuments\$1"

so that if you typed in f&r
"medit notes"

then it would launch ultraedit and create/open the file C:\MyDocuments\notes.

basically it would let you configure any phrases to execute any applications or scripts.

as another example, you might have a program that you tend to launch with different commandline parameter,etc.
you could add some command phrases to let you indicate how to open it.

like typing:
firefox proxy
might be set to open up firefox using a certain proxy configuration
etc.  basically you could use regular expressions to be able to let you specify the exact form of the command and any arguments that would need to be passed to the program or script.

and i'm open to adding more special functions/scripts so that you can type things that will cause text to be pasted in the current app, etc., like i know some other programs do.

this is all pretty straightforward actually.

the real lingering difficult issue is that raised by kfitting and cracksloth about how to best organize for supporting multiple different kinds of searchers that can be switched between, especially for those who want to use f&r as a file searcher rather than an app launcher.

it's actually tempting to think about adding a different "mode" to f&r which would have a bigger results window, not limited to a small number of results, with easier way to indicate where to search, and maybe support for things like letting you search mp3 tags, etc.

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 04:28 PM »
what are the advantages of having a different "mode" over having different "configurations"?  to me, config files are just a way to specify a different mode in which all options are mutable.  you could add the features to a config file for number of results, window size, search within mp3 tags, etc.  i would also think that this would keep the filesize of f&r smaller and it would have less of an impact on the existing ui (for those users who only want to use f&r to search the start menu).  the only impact loading different config files would have on the ui is a means by which to switch between them.  several ways have been suggested, including possibilities as graphical as tabs and as minimal as a commandline.  to me, the method of switching config files is gravy so whatever you choose is great.

i also like the idea of "commands".  it is kind of like what many commandline apps call an "alias"  :)  a nice script for such a feature would be a commandline-based volume control.  for example:
"vol 25" would set the master volume to 25%
"vol m" would toggle the mute status

for others looking for applications for such a feature, you could create "commands" to load playlists, like:
"play playlist"

you could also create single word commands to lauch frequently accessed items.  for example:
"wp" would launch wordperfect
"wa" would launch winamp

f&r makes access to programs quick but it could always be quicker  :)

-cracksloth

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 05:27 PM »
yeah, i wasn't disagreeing with idea of different configurations,
i was just trying to think out loud about the idea that f&r might he able to be configured to run in two very different ways.

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2005, 12:07 AM »
ah...  i probably misunderstood you.  what are the features of this second mode?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2005, 12:15 AM »
yeah i don' know yet, i was just playing with ideas..
it would probably be more oriented to more interactive search.

so for example the current interface is designed to be very minimal, so it can just pop up, list only top 10 items or so, and let you activate by pressing number key.

but for those of you who want to use it to do real search of files,
i'm guessing that having a tiny interface with top 10 results might not be your primary concern;
you may be more interested in more easily adjusting areas searched, and having more flexibility with regard to results.

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2005, 01:39 AM »
these are all great ideas.  i think that what i don't understand is which features would be unsuitable for integrating into a config file?  already, config files can designate the max number of entries displayed.  there are some types of searches where it would be beneficial to show *all* matching results, but again, to me this just means that you should be able to deselect:
"max. entries to display in results list"
so that all matches are listed.

if you don't want to include the option to specify windowsize in the config file, perhaps you could allow the user to create windowsize presets in the general program options?

also, remember how i was trying to get you to think of f&r as a plugin container?  for example, a user could create a config that would load the search plugin (and associated options).  a second config could be made that loads the minibrowser plugin.  from the way it sounds, are you looking for a way to be able to specify the folders being searched on the fly (like a traditional file search tool)?  if so, it would be conceivable to create a third plugin where the user can select the folder(s) they want to search from a dropdown list.  the benefit of treating these different "modes" as plugins, it that:
  - they are optional.  users who don't want them don't have to fuss with them
  - users who choose not to use a particular plugin will not be wasting resources running those features in the background.  they will not be forced to load any features into memory that they do not want.  f&r could remain a quick and sleek app launcher or it could be a more powerful file launcher or it could be a powerhouse of features and system management
  - plugins would not impact the existing ui for the current method of app launching
  - it would be possible for other users to create plugins (like a calendar plugin, a to-do list plugin, a cpu usage plugin, a task killer plugin, etc.)...  all optional, of course.
  - it is upgradeable.  a plugin can do virtually anything.  a simple program that houses plugins and can be pulled up at the touch of a button means that a user could do *anything* with the movement of a finger.  it's kind of like playing god without all the commandments.
  - sometimes, users become divided about how a feature should perform and react.  this would allow for users to make more than one plugin that has virtually the same task but each tailored for different preferences.  an unrealistic goal if you are the only one coding features.
  - the plugins would be reusable in any future endeavor that could use such functionality (i swear i though i heard you speak of making a sidebar one day...  perhaps i was dreaming)  :)

anyway, as always, i talk too much!  :)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005, 05:31 AM »
All of this sounds interesting!  One quick thought, nowhere near the complexity of the previous two (sorry it's early), perhaps you could have two hotkeys.  One brings up minimalist mode and the other brings up plugin mode.

Kevin

cracksloth

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2005, 03:49 PM »
well, i was trying to show that two modes would not be necessary when using configurations that load plugins.  i assume the "minimalist" mode you mentioned would be the current layout and functionality of f&r?  well, that would simply mean f&r would be loading a config set to use the current find plugin.  other "modes" would just be different configurations that use different plugins.  so far, we've mentioned 3 possible plugins:
  - the traditional find plugin (which is the same interface we all know and love)
  - a minibrowser plugin (which would allow quick access to files already sorted logically in folders
  - a new type of search plugin that acts more like current search tools where the user selects the folders to be searched on the fly

the ability to switch configurations by hotkey, however, is a really good idea.  i am in favor of creating several methods of switching configurations (because everyone has a different idea of what's easiest).

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Just an idea regarding the whole "focus" issue.  Is there a way to allow FindRun to lose focus if the user clicks in another window?  The main reason I wanted FindRun to retain focus is because I wanted to start a bunch of slow starting apps in a row.  In that case, I'm not clicking anywhere, I'm bringing up FindRun and typing in it; I don't want other apps stealing focus.  But, if I bring up FindRun and want to do something else first, I'll bring up FindRun and then click somewhere else.  It's kind of like Opera's popup filter (which actually works a great deal of the time) which doesnt allow unrequested popups, but if you click on a link, the popup is allowed.  Similarly, FindRun would retain focus unless YOU commanded focus somewhere else.  Just a suggestion... don't know if there is a good way to code it,

Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 06:17 PM »
yeah - the new focus grabbing code can be downright annoying if you want to keep f&r open and do other things..
i just have to figure out a good way to do exactly what you are suggesting - take focus only when appropriate.

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 07:47 PM »
There's no way to tell if a mouseclick is what brought focus to a window?  (not trying to be stupid... just professing ignorance of windows coding!)  However, 90% of the time, I like FindRun keeping focus.  Maybe in the interim you could make it a user option... in a vain attempt to satisfy the masses!

Kevin

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2005, 01:00 PM »
Just wanted to add that the main feature that I miss in F&R is a right context menu option to save a result as an alias. I realise that this is in the "cards" but wanted to add a word in support of it!

Thanks for a very useful app. I'm REALLY impressed with its speed and small footprint.

Mike
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 02:04 PM by Darwin »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2005, 01:07 PM »
i am going to add this extremely soon - maybe next week - i agree it would be very useful and help people to see the value of aliases.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2005, 06:42 PM »
In the same spirit as the context menu option of creating an alias from the results list, drag and drop from the results list onto the alias tab would also be useful (although possibly redundant if the context menu feature were to be implemented?).

Just a thought...

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2005, 12:57 PM »
Mouser, was browsing today and came across Stick which looks like an interesting application - but I suspect falls in to the category of trying to do too much.  Still watch the video for a lesson in tutorials, and configurability!

Anyway... The preview screen shot of the Launcher facility shows an interesting feature - Time since last launch.  It occurred to me that this may well be a feature that has a place in F&R both for executables and data files.  Perhaps an option to scale extra weighting given to more recently used files?

Just a thought :)

Keep up the great work.

Ampa

PS Not sure if I should be posting this here or in Feature requests v2 ?!

Edit: Can't spell own name - Doh!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Perhaps an option to scale extra weighting given to more recently used files?

my thinking exactly - it's been on the todo list for a while and it's surely something worth adding.