topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:57 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Startpage.com Search Engine - Katherine Albrecht on The Corbett Report  (Read 3495 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Dr. Katherine Albrecht on the Startpage private search engine (podcast)

http://www.corbettre...ivate-search-engine/

I've seen a few interviews with her. Startpage.com sounds pretty good. If you don't like DuckDuckgo, then you might like it. I've not done any real comparison between the two.

James Corbett is an excellent interviewer, though likely not what most people are quite used to. ;) Hopefully some people will enjoy the show.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use StartPage a fair bit because it doesn't require you accept a cookie to keep your preferences.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've used Startpage as my primary engine for years!

But their results are not perfect. Occasionally I have indeed had to go to the Evil Google. (But only ocasionally when my search is really tough!) For all the boring searches, the privacy protection is important.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On a related note, I've not figured out how to add them as a search provider (correct term?) in IE.  The IE version I try this on (8, may be?) doesn't seem to support POST-based things and that's all I seem to turn up at Mycroft Project.  Any success stories?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The IE version I try this on (8, may be?) doesn't seem to support POST-based things and that's all I seem to turn up at Mycroft Project.  Any success stories?

Startpage will also provide a GET based URL for your searches.  Go to Startpage->Settings and uncheck the following:

2013-07-15 16_15_05-SETTINGS - Pale Moon.png

Set any other parameters you want, then click Generate URL if you don't want cookies, or Save if you do.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Inspired by your comment, I took a closer look at Mycroft and found a GET-based OpenSearch that seems to work.

Thanks!  :Thmbsup: