topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I'm sooo exhausted with the overhyping of everything.  (Read 6810 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm sooo exhausted with the overhyping of everything.
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:57 PM »
I consciously try to avoid to popular media to great degrees, and I'm STILL exhausted by hearing about all the nonsense, overhyped things going on in recent years.  Maybe it's always been this way, I don't know.
Lebron
the 41 megapixels of the lumia
zimmerman
pac rim
anything smartphone related
the economy
the president

tgi-flippin-F

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: I'm sooo exhausted with the overhyping of everything.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09 PM »
If you've read "1984" and "Brave New World", you don't need to read the news. :P

But I know what you mean about hype. All the most unimportant things are hyped beyond galactic proportions, meanwhile the news that actually matters either never gets mentioned or gets an off-hand mention. e.g. Atrocities by US-backed foreign rebel fighters in Syria and near universal support for Assad by the Syrian people, etc. Gee... the kindling for WWIII just isn't important enough for the news...

Try reading some alternative news as what you hear is radically different. And there's no non-stop celebrity gossip or non-issue news.

But, what do you expect from the MSM when it's owned by 6 PR companies. :P

And no - it hasn't always been this way. It's much worse now. I've been the editor for an industry journal for about 14 years and I've noticed the downhill slide. News is nothing more than press releases from industry and government - journalism is almost dead.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cschw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 10:57 PM »
So if just regurgitating press releases isn't real journalism, don't you think it's time for a change of vocabulary?

How about gerbilism...would that adequately describe the form of journalism currently being practiced?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 03:47 AM »

james-stevenson-our-panel-today-includes-hurley-throod-the-opinionated-washington-bureau-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:51 AM »
the happy news .com
with links to more good news sites

http://thehappynews.com/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 01:28 AM »
If you've read "1984" and "Brave New World", you don't need to read the news. :P

But I know what you mean about hype. All the most unimportant things are hyped beyond galactic proportions, meanwhile the news that actually matters either never gets mentioned or gets an off-hand mention. e.g. Atrocities by US-backed foreign rebel fighters in Syria and near universal support for Assad by the Syrian people, etc. Gee... the kindling for WWIII just isn't important enough for the news...

Try reading some alternative news as what you hear is radically different. And there's no non-stop celebrity gossip or non-issue news.

But, what do you expect from the MSM when it's owned by 6 PR companies. :P

And no - it hasn't always been this way. It's much worse now. I've been the editor for an industry journal for about 14 years and I've noticed the downhill slide. News is nothing more than press releases from industry and government - journalism is almost dead.
That's good to hear.  I get a little frustrated sometimes because I can't tell if I'm just "growing up" or actually sensing a legitimate difference in today vs. before.  It's so annoying! And it's a topic that is super difficult to discuss with 99.9% of people (from my experiences at least).  Mostly because I'm a pretty social person and these types of topics are pretty unfriendly, so I just don't dig too much into them (but oh, how I'd love to).  A couple of my friends just agreed to eventually have an all-day video session with pro basketball videos so I can "prove" to them how overhyped most of these average players are.  That's a first.  I told them they better not be toying with me!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm sooo EXCITED with the overhyping of everything.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 10:12 PM »
 ;)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23 AM »
And here I thought it was just an effect caused by the current generation's Short Attention Span Disorder that results in everything needing to be repeated ad infinitum.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36 AM »
And here I thought it was just an effect caused by the current generation's Short Attention Span Disorder that results in everything needing to be repeated ad infinitum.

What did you say? ;)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28 AM »

There's been some serious research done on just that. Seems there's fairly clear indications that the acceptance of the 'myth of multitasking' has gone a large way towards training human brains to be more easily distracted and unable to focus.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I consciously try to avoid to popular media to great degrees, and I'm STILL exhausted by hearing about all the nonsense, overhyped things going on in recent years.  Maybe it's always been this way, I don't know.

Hype is here to stay. Quit overhyping it bro.  :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40 AM »

There's been some serious research done on just that. Seems there's fairly clear indications that the acceptance of the 'myth of multitasking' has gone a large way towards training human brains to be more easily distracted and unable to focus.
In my younger, less cynical days when I was trying to master everything (and being quite successful at it), I remember how all the authority figures kept hinting not so subtly that perhaps I wasn't working hard enough (i.e. that i was lazy!?), or I wasn't able to multitask, or I was taking too long, or blah blah whatever.  And deep down I always knew that I'm absolutely at my best when I just hunker down and obsess about something and work on it.  Always fantastic results.  But I was obedient, so I tried to do it better; the multitasking shit, that is.  And all it did was turn everything into mediocrity.

So I've been studying some of these psychological things, and learning about experiments that have been conducted, really fascinating stuff.  And I see parents and authorities and what they are doing to kids, and it sickens me.  I'm talking about normal kids, not the wealthy ones, they get great loving treatment (of course). ok ok...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:39 PM »

tl;dr