topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: German, French, and V for Vendetta  (Read 4148 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
German, French, and V for Vendetta
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:28 AM »
I'm an English speaker, but I watch both movies and as much TV as possible in either German or French (and sometimes Italian if I can find it.) No, I don't speak either language, but I have read books in both. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite a lot of fun. And even if you don't know anything about these languages, you'll be surprised at how much of the story line you'll understand. For example, watching the show The King of Queens in German is so much better than mere English!

Perhaps the Europeans and Brits among us don't understand that we in the US are sadly self-isolated when it comes to other languages. We're sometimes bombarded by Spanish, but I don't live in the US Southwest where it is prevalent. The only place I've been too in a while where I've had a blast is Quebec, Canada.

PS: V for Vendetta is one of the better movies I've seen in a long while. If you haven't seen it, make sure you do! Natalie Portman's British accent will make you cringe, but the story is Batman meets Phantom of the Opera meets George Orwell's 1984, and Hugo Weaving — the bad guy from The Matrix — is awesome as 'V'.

Here's the Guy Fawkes backstory to the plot.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:49 AM by zridling »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Am I the only one who watches movies in foreign languages?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:33 AM »
i didn't like the V for Vendetta movie all that much but the graphic novel is fantastic.
http://www.amazon.co...p/product/0930289528

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: German, French, and V for Vendetta
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49 AM »
All right, thanks for the book link!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 05:01 AM »
I've only seen one movie in my native language (portuguese), but i notice a bit of what you refer. Most of the movies are in english, usually american english.
Still, i've already seen one movie in german, 2 in french, and a bunch in british english.

But i don't have the same point of view you have, i prefer american / british english movies, the only movie i've seen in another language that i liked was Der Untergang, which makes sense to be in german.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:34 PM »
OK. Shoot me if this is just too cheeseball, but I watched the original Das Boot with no subtitles. Loved it.