ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why you should record video of the everyday people in your life

<< < (2/3) > >>

mouser:
The beautiful thing about modern sd/flash memory card based video cameras is that you can get cards that can hold 24hrs of video.. wheras in the old days the best you could hope for was a big box of tapes that you had to change every 2 hours.

IainB:
The beautiful thing about modern sd/flash memory card based video cameras is that you can get cards that can hold 24hrs of video.. wheras in the old days the best you could hope for was a big box of tapes that you had to change every 2 hours.
-mouser (July 09, 2013, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, which is eggsactly why I would not use that older technology, but am really happy about using the newer technology - especially when it comes accompanied with the newer 1080HD resolution and associated built-in camera anti-shake, zoom, auto-this & that & everythng, etc.

superboyac:
IainB...you're a really interesting person.  I just had to say that.

fredemeister:
My experience was from my mother-in-law who died at 84yrs after a stroke, which came after 6 years of dementia.  She could remember her early life - from about 4years old - until she was about 60yrs, but nothing after that.  My wife is one of seven children, and my mother-in-law was one of 14 children.  She gave up her life at 21 to return home and look after 8 siblings after both her parents died.

She married twice, having all children from her first husband.

We wanted to look after her when she got sick, and while we had many, many difficulties from her dementia we also had many, many laughs.  [ASIDE - In NZ our emergency service phone number is 111, and we had several call charged to that service when they should have been free - and we did not make them.  For a while we wondered what had happened, and why they were on our bill, so we called them to query he charges - if the Emergency Services Call Centre thinks the call is frivolous, as we had repeated called them, they charge $8.00 per call.  Apparently when the call came through there was no talking, just background noise - TV etc.  After a while we realised m-i-l was using the digital, wireless phone as a TV remote, as her favourite channel was Channel 1.  So she pressed 1-1-1 without any response from the TV.  Hilarious now we had the reason.]

However, we made lots of small video files over the years as my wife wanted to know the "who, how, why, when, where" and so on of things that had happened in her childhood; how certain people were related to her; how they stored food; how they prepared certain dishes, what natural medical remedies they used, and so on.  This took all of three years and continued when my wife's sister took a share in helping out, but we now have a video library that not only includes practical stuff, but also lots of time of her talking "in the flesh" so to speak.

This library has been well used, and copied for any family member who wanted it.

It took a lot of time and effort and some small cost, but the result is invaluable and irreplaceable.  While we remember people - in our memories, on film or in pictures, they are never gone.

So while this is different to mouser's post, we share similar experiences and good thoughts.

Just my 2c worth, but I strongly recommend doing this before it's too late.

mouser:
Awesome post, fredemeister:up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version