topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Adblock Plus Letting Ads By  (Read 19993 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Adblock Plus Letting Ads By
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Truthfully, I don't mind ads- done a certain way.  I think that's what 40 means by trust.  If they vet, if they don't let abusive or obnoxious ads through, I'll be fine with it.

Basically yes. If you're ad-based for your income, I'm fine with that. If it gets obnoxious my option is to put up with it or walk away. I have no problem with advertising or me going elsewhere. It's the dealer's call when it comes to that. As long as I feel it's a fair trade-off - advertise away! Just show some restraint and respect for your user/visitor when you do.

And since YouTube is totally unusable to me without AdBlock Plus running, I'll put up with what they're doing for the moment since it doesn't seem to affect me that much. But I'll probably think more than twice next time I'm feeling like I should be sending them some more money.

Besides, since they now have an alternate revenue stream, they should be all set, right?  I don't feel the least bit funny about maybe not contributing as much as I did before (or possibly at all) because, quite frankly, I don't feel like I'm as much their customer any more. If at all.

So it goes...their financial loss is NoScript's gain AFAIC.

Onward! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:53 PM by 40hz »

MohKraats

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 05:05 AM »
As we all know,

Only the sun rises for free.

So, first thing that comes to mind when finding a nice looking piece of freeware,  :)
BEFORE just hitting the "Install" button as everyone else does  :-[
is, ask ourselves where does the author get his benefits.
If you can't find any plausible source, then you might consider not to install.

And of course, like in this case, RTFM before starting to accuse people.

RTFM  >:(, as CobbleHillGuy already explained :Thmbsup: in his post: (and now follow that link in there!!!, don't just read the text)
........ you can still block all of them, even the whitelisted ones, as explained here. .......
-CobbleHillGuy (July 09, 2013, 04:36 PM)
In case you don't know what RTFM means, :( , well, that explains it all, doesn't it ?

And for as far as installation goes,
 take your time to read the conditions you agree to when installing. Even when it is boring !!
By the way, during installation, I have seen so many people just blindly click through the installation without realising what they accept in some of the pop-up screens, like a nice searchbar, or some other unwanted crap....
People often complain about stuff that was installed, where they have agreed to that in the first place !! , just didn't take the time to check what they agreed upon.
Take your time to make sure you are installing what you think you are installing.
That saves you so many unwanted surprises !!

Take some more time during your installations,
and you will be rewarded by the lack of many sorts of unwanted crap.
And in case you take RTFM serious as well, you will start to enjoy the installed software to the full on top of that.

Happy Coding  8)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2013, 03:21 PM »
We could take a lesson from the ad companies and pay to have the ads blocked. Choose a software with an actual business model that doesn't include accepting bribes from ad companies...perhaps Ad Muncher, which will work with any browser (without a plugin), any desktop RSS reader, any non-browser software that pulls in ad banners from an external source.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to ask..what is the current thought on ad muncher? Is this still a viable option? Development seems to have halted and looking at the forums shows that the developer hasn't been present since March.

That said, I am quite happy with Ad Block Plus.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Wikipedia is getting more strident with "pity us, we were free and now trying to PBS-Monetize! Look! Big ugly Orange strip on the page!"

But Adblock won't kill it because it seems to be locally generated or whatever.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to ask..what is the current thought on ad muncher? Is this still a viable option? Development seems to have halted and looking at the forums shows that the developer hasn't been present since March.

I thought he was there on Saturday. And often before that.
Not that I pay much attention. I have Ad Muncher; I find it mostly works pretty well, so I forget it is there (unless I disable it & forget to turn it back on and wonder why I am seeing ads :-[)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42 AM »

This was the most relevant thread I could find.

See this page:

http://en.wikipedia....8season_3%29#Writing

It refuses to AdBlock the pic of Andreas Katsulas. (About midway in the page.)

When was I not aware that certain random pics were not able to be AdBlocked?!

It's not even the Ad-Beg of the previous thread. This is total and simple even Ad-Block Edge "No. I don't feel like dealing with that. Go away."

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 07:10 PM »
It refuses to AdBlock the pic of Andreas Katsulas. (About midway in the page.)

When was I not aware that certain random pics were not able to be AdBlocked?!

They're not random ... you have a whitelist in effect.

Go to the page you mention, on the AdBlock icon select Open blockable items and you'll get the following:

2013-11-16 12_13_26-Star Trek_ The Next Generation (season 3) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - P.pngAdblock Plus Letting Ads By

Right click on the filter and select Edit filter in effect ...

2013-11-16 12_03_28-Adblock Edge Filter Preferences.pngAdblock Plus Letting Ads By

Reload the page and you'll find you can now block it and any other image from upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ :

2013-11-16 12_04_33-Star Trek_ The Next Generation (season 3) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - P.pngAdblock Plus Letting Ads By
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:18 PM by 4wd »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 12:07 AM »
That seems to mostly work 4wd!

I got stuck a bit on the way, but it seems to be working!