ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What is safer for data -- a hard disk or a blue ray disc?

<< < (3/4) > >>

zenzai:
Continuing to argue with myself... setting aside the life of optical bits versus magnetic bits, there's also long-term questions of form factor. My bet is that you'll have a device that can read optical discs longer into the future than you'll have a device that accepts the kind of interface on your hard disk. I mean, CDs and DVDs have been around quite a long time, and readers are ubiquitous. But if you had your data on an IDE or (some kinds of) SCSI hard drive, and you'd have a much more difficult job trying to find a reader.
-CWuestefeld (July 08, 2013, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

You usually have quite a long time to transfer your data to other formats though. You can still buy PATA (IDE) controllers like Promise Ultra 133 TX2, as well as docking stations for PATA drives. And WD (and possibly other manufacturers as well) are still producing a few PATA drives.

zenzai:
Nice post, zenzai  :up:
-mouser (July 12, 2013, 05:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks! Hope someone finds it useful...  ;)

longrun:
I sometimes have disturbing formatting issues that come up with these large drives that i plug in and out of computers.  Let's say i put a bunch of data on a huge 4tb drive.  Then i take it out.  Later, I use it with an enclosure and a usb 3.0 connection.  Then I do the same with an esata.  Then i stick it into another computer.  Sometimes, while doing this, Windows will say the drive is unreadable or something, or that it has to be formatted

--- End quote ---

After having the unformatted disc problem with a HD used for backups I discovered Partition Find & Mount, mentioned elsewhere on the forum. What a relief to see my missing partition reappear!

I agree with zenzai about the cause, but now I don't even trust Safe Removal as I've been pretty careful. Whenever possible I turn off my notebook and disable write-back caching.

zenzai:
I agree with zenzai about the cause, but now I don't even trust Safe Removal as I've been pretty careful. Whenever possible I turn off my notebook and disable write-back caching.
-longrun (July 13, 2013, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using Zentimo to handle my USB connections, I don't know if it is safer when it comes to Safe Removal but I've never had any problems with my disks in this respect.

superboyac:
-longrun (July 13, 2013, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using Zentimo to handle my USB connections, I don't know if it is safer when it comes to Safe Removal but I've never had any problems with my disks in this respect.
-zenzai (July 13, 2013, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
i love zentimo.  for the simple reason that the gui is very easy and clear about what you are stopping/removing.  not the confusing presentation that comes with windows, good grief.  every time i use the default windows one, i always go through a moment where i'm like "This SEEMS to be the right drive I'm removing, but I'm not exactly sure.  oh well, here goes!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version