ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How Google is Killing Honest (Organic) Search

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Each year Google becomes more and more of a greedy obnoxious a**hole of a company..  One day we are going to look back and ask ourselves how we allowed an advertising company to so completely control the internet.

Google is building a new version of the search engine that made it great. This time, however, it is a search engine exclusive to the garden of Google products. If you compete with Google in any way, you’re in its crosshairs. Your chances of ranking high enough to garner traffic are virtually nil and getting smaller.

The scariest part of this is that, if you sell something using the internet, regardless of whether or not you see yourself as a “local" business - or think you’re competing with Google - Google sees you as competition. Searching for “Camera" or “Buy a Dress Shirt" gets you a nearly identical split of screen real estate as that of “local" searches. Nearly everything leads back to a Google product except for an ever-decreasing amount of “Organic" real estate.

It’s Google’s world, and from now on, you’ll have to pay to play in it.

--- End quote ---

http://blog.tutorspree.com/post/54349646327/death-of-organic-search

from http://boingboing.net

wraith808:
I noticed that on the link IainB posted about Wave that the Open Source version had a problem that showed Google's new colors...

Subsequently, Google asked the Etherpad code maintainers to remove JSMin from its code tree due to a clause in its license stating, "The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil," which is not compatible with the open source licenses allowed on Google Code.(1)

--- End quote ---

x16wda:
I remember back in The Olde Days, when I was so excited about this new search engine I had found - Google.  It always seemed to pull up the exact pages I needed!  Nobody had seen it before ("what did you say - Google??").  But it was the bomb!  Spot on almost every time!

That engine doesn't exist any longer.  The company that produced it doesn't either.  I'm sure there are some great theses about greed and how it has affected Google and everything else in our economy.  But in the end I go to Google for SEARCH.

These days Google's skewed results are back to so-so in my opinion... it's easy to get a page of dreck, with maybe a nugget or two of good stuff.  It's not as useful, not as efficient.  Not as good!  So why should I keep on Googling??

I'm really curious about how the competition stacks up.  Nobody has time to give them all a serious try.  But I know there are a lot of sharp people here who have been beating on the alternatives.  Has anyone else seen a search engine that gives you those same goosebumps, that same excited feeling, that the Google did back in the day?  Is there anything else that can give you the same great matches for what you really wanted to find?  Has the Bing vs Google blind comparison made you a believer?  Or has search engine technology pretty much evened things out?

ewemoa:
What I've been feeling recently is that trying different queries across multiple days can yield much better results.  Also been reminded of how good searching relevant mailing lists can be.

cyberdiva:
I remember feeling the same excitement as x16wda when I first came upon Google.  It was, indeed, so much better than any other search engine.  But, as x16wda said, it's not the same search engine now, and one has to wade through increasing amounts of garbage to find the good hits.  However, the saddest thing is that it's still better than the competition, at least in my fairly limited experience.  For quite a while I tried using DuckDuckGo on one computer and Bing on another, but more often than not I'd have to turn to Google.  Though I had to wade through garbage, at least there were some gems.  Those gems were all too often missing from DuckDuckGo and Bing.  I'm now back to having it as my primary search engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version