ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft ending TechNet subscription activations effective august 2013

<< < (5/6) > >>

40hz:
I see more and more developers choosing to distribute solely through the App Store rather than provide the DMGs for install...
-wraith808 (July 12, 2013, 09:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the power of offering "favored nation" promotional status as an incentive once you start leading the dev community down the app store/walled garden path...

I've been told it really only hurts in the beginning. Later on, a spacey numbness settles in and it all becomes soooooo much easier. As Rodgers & Gilmour would say:

When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye.

I turned to look but it was gone.
I cannot put my finger on it now,
The child is grown...
The dream is gone.

I... have become comfortably numb

:-\

40hz:
For the sake of my curiosity, can anyone else describe the moment that made them make the transition?
-superboyac (July 02, 2013, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

It occurred in two stages for me. The hassles I had trying to support clients that insisted on using Vista opened the door once Microsoft started stonewalling about its problems. That's when I really started looking at Linux as a possible replacement OS rather than just an alternative.

The real breaking point (on the professional level) came with Sinofsky's announcement to IT professionals basically telling us to shut up and 'get with the program' as regards Windows 8 deployments, which was coupled with a few implied threats about 'us' not having a choice in the matter since our end users would soon be demanding "the Windows 8 experience." Too bad the retail sales figures don't support that contention despite "how excited" Microsoft repeatedly told us they were about this non-event. Then they went and dropped the ball big time with Surface...poor lads!

Here's your new case badge Mr. Ballmer:

Microsoft ending TechNet subscription activations effective august 2013

On the personal level it came with the introduction of Metro and Microsoft's version of an app store. That's when I saw the handwriting on the wall. And the way they're handling their UEFI/Secure Boot initiative-  and their ongoing legal arm-twisting tactics with some of the major distros - rammed it completely home for me.

I no longer want to use Windows...or Office...or pretty much anything else Microsoft produces, FlightSimulator be damned.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to. 8)

superboyac:
^^ Nice, thanks 40.  I'm keeping an eye on the developments with Linux and Windows, and slowly prepping myself for the day when I decide to make the transition.  I predict the motivation will max around when MS says Windows 7 is not going to be supported any more.  So probably around 5-10 years.

Stoic Joker:
I predict the motivation will max around when MS says Windows 7 is not going to be supported any more.  So probably around 5-10 years.-superboyac (July 12, 2013, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say closer to 3 years...as it will all pivot on Windows 9. MS listens (stop laughing 40hz) our creed can most
likely continue. If MS cracks down harder it'll be rats off a sinking ship time for sure.

...I'm trying to budget time to play with Slackware a bit more again...just in case.

Renegade:
I no longer want to use Windows...or Office...or pretty much anything else Microsoft produces, FlightSimulator be damned.

Fortunately for me, I don't have to. 8)
-40hz (July 12, 2013, 02:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're lucky.

...rats off a sinking ship time for sure.-Stoic Joker (July 12, 2013, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

My current plan is for my next box to be a server running a virtual environment with concurrent VMs inside. Then I'll be able to flip around between OSes easily.

As for investing another penny into MS... Not if I don't absolutely have to. Done with subscriptions and no longer care. There's enough FLOSS out there to replace it all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version