topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 10 signs you may have OCD  (Read 11341 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
10 signs you may have OCD
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:43 PM »
If you want a better picture, you probably have it.

10 signs you may have OCD.jpg

10 signs you may have OCD

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10 signs you may have OCD
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22 PM »

For the DVD box series Monk, one of the packages was printed backwards!
;D

I'd love to interview the package design manager to see if that was intentional! Because after watching 6 straight seasons of Monk on a marathon, you slip a bit into those habits!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Well at least it's nice to know whatever psychological issues I may have, OCD isn't one of them.

I didn't even get one telltale out of the ten listed. (I feel so left out right now!)  :P

;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I have an uncontrollable urge to wash my hands every time I'm forced to handle an Apple device ... Is that a bad sign?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Well at least it's nice to know whatever psychological issues I may have, OCD isn't one of them.

I didn't even get one telltale out of the ten listed. (I feel so left out right now!)  :P

;D

Why is there only one red plaid shirt?   ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:40 AM »
It would have been totally epic if there were only 9 signs on the list... :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:48 PM »
It would have been totally epic if there were only 9 signs on the list... :D

;D  ;D  ;D LOL! And agree! Or if one got repeated. :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:16 PM »
On a more serious note, I have been growing increasingly annoyed by the need for people to "diagnose" the psychological condition of everyone.  Depression, anxiety, OCD, etc.  I don't know why it bothers me so much (probably indicative of one of these conditions), but it does.  It seems to do more harm than good.  Like that person who points out the zit on your face, as if you're not already aware of it.  Just being a dick.  "What is that thing on your face?"  Shut up.

So what if someone washes their hands a lot.  Unless it's really a bad problem that is severely affecting their lives (how do you judge where the line is?) just leave them alone.  Some people organize things a little obsessively.  So what?  It's not bad!  There's some value to that!  Some people don't organize at all.  So what?!

And for some reason, it has been particularly prevalent in Los Angeles.  Maybe so in other places to, but I have really noticed it here lately.  Wives telling husbands all the little things wrong with them.  Bosses nitpicking every little thing here and there.  People are different.  Oh this person is antisocial, he likes to keep to himself, so creepy (me).  Oh that person is pretentious, always needing to talk a lot.  Where is this perfect balance they want?  Now, they'll hear me talking like this and say I have anger issues, why am I depressed?  Oh you're too negative (to me).  Oh you're too positive (me to them).  Sheesh.

I'll tell you one thing.  I haven't been able to do much really good things without getting pretty OCD about it.  Whether it's music, drawing, project management, etc.  I've read journals by great men who accomplished great things, and they were super OCD.  The Germans?  Please.

And the news in the media, oh the news.

I apologize for the rant.  And yes, I do enjoy a good rant every now and then.   :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:45 PM »
I apologize for the rant.  And yes, I do enjoy a good rant every now and then.   :Thmbsup

lucy.jpg

Interesting...how do you feel about that?  ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;D

And on a more serious note, your point is well taken. :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:51 PM by 40hz »

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:47 PM »
On a more serious note, I have been growing increasingly annoyed by the need for people to "diagnose" the psychological condition of everyone.  Depression, anxiety, OCD, etc.  I don't know why it bothers me so much (probably indicative of one of these conditions), but it does.  It seems to do more harm than good.  Like that person who points out the zit on your face, as if you're not already aware of it.  Just being a dick.  "What is that thing on your face?"  Shut up.

So what if someone washes their hands a lot.  Unless it's really a bad problem that is severely affecting their lives (how do you judge where the line is?) just leave them alone.  Some people organize things a little obsessively.  So what?  It's not bad!  There's some value to that!  Some people don't organize at all.  So what?!

And for some reason, it has been particularly prevalent in Los Angeles.  Maybe so in other places to, but I have really noticed it here lately.  Wives telling husbands all the little things wrong with them.  Bosses nitpicking every little thing here and there.  People are different.  Oh this person is antisocial, he likes to keep to himself, so creepy (me).  Oh that person is pretentious, always needing to talk a lot.  Where is this perfect balance they want?  Now, they'll hear me talking like this and say I have anger issues, why am I depressed?  Oh you're too negative (to me).  Oh you're too positive (me to them).  Sheesh.

I'll tell you one thing.  I haven't been able to do much really good things without getting pretty OCD about it.  Whether it's music, drawing, project management, etc.  I've read journals by great men who accomplished great things, and they were super OCD.  The Germans?  Please.

And the news in the media, oh the news.

I apologize for the rant.  And yes, I do enjoy a good rant every now and then.   :Thmbsup:

It just depends on how bad your OCD is.  When it gets to the point that you can't work or socialize because your too busy washing your hands every 5 minutes, then it is a problem for these people.  Or the person that can't sleep because he/she gets up at all hours of the night to make sure that everything is in it's place.  Or the need to touch or count things.  These people do need help to control their obsessions in order to lead a relatively normal life.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18 PM »
On a more serious note, I have been growing increasingly annoyed by the need for people to "diagnose" the psychological condition of everyone.  Depression, anxiety, OCD, etc.  I don't know why it bothers me so much (probably indicative of one of these conditions), but it does.  It seems to do more harm than good.  Like that person who points out the zit on your face, as if you're not already aware of it.  Just being a dick.  "What is that thing on your face?"  Shut up.

So what if someone washes their hands a lot.  Unless it's really a bad problem that is severely affecting their lives (how do you judge where the line is?) just leave them alone.  Some people organize things a little obsessively.  So what?  It's not bad!  There's some value to that!  Some people don't organize at all.  So what?!

I think it's a down-side effect of the hyper-PC movement (speaking of another group that ought to be castrated with fishing knives). For some reason these idiots feel safer if they keep every(one/)thing labeled so the know exactly what to not offend them with (Can U say counter productive...).

Well, that and is seems to be somewhat trendy these days to be mildly damaged. Just look at some of the lead (hero) characters in the TV shows that have been coming out lately. ...Sure he carries on lengthy dialogs with his hallucinations...but he's a brilliant crime solver. O'RLY?

Not!

...The inmates are running the asylum, and they're starting to penalize people for being normal.

And for some reason, it has been particularly prevalent in Los Angeles.  Maybe so in other places to, but I have really noticed it here lately.  Wives telling husbands all the little things wrong with them.  Bosses nitpicking every little thing here and there.  People are different.  Oh this person is antisocial, he likes to keep to himself, so creepy (me).  Oh that person is pretentious, always needing to talk a lot.  Where is this perfect balance they want?  Now, they'll hear me talking like this and say I have anger issues, why am I depressed?  Oh you're too negative (to me).  Oh you're too positive (me to them).  Sheesh.

I'll tell you one thing.  I haven't been able to do much really good things without getting pretty OCD about it.  Whether it's music, drawing, project management, etc.  I've read journals by great men who accomplished great things, and they were super OCD.  The Germans?  Please.

I'm a German/Hispanic split ... So half of me gets what you mean...and the other half wants to take a nap. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------

Can I nominate SB for a best rant of the week award?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 11:52 PM »
Can I nominate SB for a best rant of the week award?
;D I'd be truly honored!

Sidenote, I first started being aware of this stuff when I noticed on my friend's bookshelf of The Greatest Books of Western Civilization or something like that, and included there was Faraday's journals.  And at the time I was writing my electrical engineering practice manuals.  So I started reading it and it just hit me how consumed this guy was with his experiments.  From my own experiences, I had always felt a degree of shame for getting "too into" things, and would either hide behind some humor or just hide it altogether.  So that helped me realize that getting super OCD about things is really the only way to figure things out well.  So now I'm just open about it, and I let people make their jokes, and I've learned not to be so defensive about it.  But now I get defensive about these psychological accusations because there are so many people in my life who have been, IMO (not theirs) pretty affected by it.  And I obviously have my moments too, that stuff is contagious for some reason.
my secret ocd...i absolutely love organizing files on the computer.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 01:19 AM »
There's also a "chart" where "obsessive" is on one axis, but on the other is "importance". You don't hear people complain that bridge engineers are "OCD"!! No, if they study a design prototype-mockup in great, lavish detail, first doing some math, then measuring structural angles, simulating wind, and tons more, you basically leave them alone/help if needed and say "great job!"

And then on the recreational side, when a finished result is presented, and it's *good*, everyone cheers. "Dabbling" is notoriously slammed in recreational projects.

It's only when it's external stuff that gets "super-managed" that people think it's a problem. But the little quirks are all wrapped up in the rest of you.

So what do they want? Chuck the TV show did a great ongoing parody of all this - Ryan McPartlin's "Captain Awesome". Never a line mis-spoken, in near perfect physical shape, etc.

SergXov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 03:35 AM »
I have an uncontrollable urge to wash my hands every time I'm forced to handle an Apple device ... Is that a bad sign?

No, it's not an bad sign .

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Sidenote, I first started being aware of this stuff when I noticed on my friend's bookshelf of The Greatest Books of Western Civilization or something like that, and included there was Faraday's journals.  And at the time I was writing my electrical engineering practice manuals.  So I started reading it and it just hit me how consumed this guy was with his experiments.  From my own experiences, I had always felt a degree of shame for getting "too into" things, and would either hide behind some humor or just hide it altogether.  So that helped me realize that getting super OCD about things is really the only way to figure things out well.

That's not OCD...that's determination. I learned at a very young age, that I could do anything...if I really put my mind to it. Applying ones self I believe it's usually (/supposed to be) called. Ya know, nothing worth doing is ever easy and all that.

15 years ago I hated computers and thought they were evil. Now (thanks to a pivotal event) I'm the admin for one of the largest IT companies in the area. That's not OCD ... That's setting a goal and going for it.

Why has it become fashionable to be slightly damaged?? *Shrug* ...I'm guessing it just a side effect of the everybody gets a trophy school of "thought" (e.g. horse shit).

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57 PM »
15 years ago I hated computers and thought they were evil. Now (thanks to a pivotal event) I'm the admin for one of the largest IT companies in the area. That's not OCD ... That's setting a goal and going for it.
:D Wow, talk about an about-face!  You've got to explain this one...was it the typical "computers are taking our jobs" thing, or something different?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 05:17 PM »
:D Wow, talk about an about-face!  You've got to explain this one...was it the typical "computers are taking our jobs" thing, or something different?

Simple really, I made a deal with the devil...and stuck to it.

A long time friend of over 30 years had a bike shop that I was helping him at. He was getting into computers at the time but just for user level play toy stuff. I adamantly hated them ... But he decided to give me one for Christmas. I was totally bummed when I opened the box because I thought he'd gotten me the custom rims I wanted for the custom Harley I was building at the time (Hay bike shop...Ya know..?).

To be polite -- as he is a father figure level friend -- I let him set it up and show me all the "really cool" stuff it could do ... Which at the time I didn't give a shit less about.

However I did bitch about it a bit at work where I was managing an optical lab at the time. One of the staff (young college guy of the time) was trying to explain to me what value the idiotic contraptions had. "They can answer virtually any question" he said ... Which got me thinking. I can be extremely dangerous when thinking at that level. I said "Okay ... Tell it to find my mother"...because I was adopted, and while I can't really say that it bothered me...I was excruciatingly curious.

He got me online, and gave me the basics of how to do web stuff, and I started digging. I was looking for two things at the same time. The first was a straight up web search for mom. The second was anything I could find about how these things were put together, and something called "Hacking" (the movie helped...) that appeared as an excellent plan 'B' if the search didn't pan out.

Six months later I got an Email from one of the sites I'd found for that sort of thing ... Two hours later I was on the phone with Mom.

Ultimate question, was answered ... Deal had been made ... The rest is history.. ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Simple really, I made a deal with the devil...and stuck to it.

A long time friend of over 30 years had a bike shop that I was helping him at. He was getting into computers at the time but just for user level play toy stuff. I adamantly hated them ... But he decided to give me one for Christmas. I was totally bummed when I opened the box because I thought he'd gotten me the custom rims I wanted for the custom Harley I was building at the time (Hay bike shop...Ya know..?).

To be polite -- as he is a father figure level friend -- I let him set it up and show me all the "really cool" stuff it could do ... Which at the time I didn't give a shit less about.

However I did bitch about it a bit at work where I was managing an optical lab at the time. One of the staff (young college guy of the time) was trying to explain to me what value the idiotic contraptions had. "They can answer virtually any question" he said ... Which got me thinking. I can be extremely dangerous when thinking at that level. I said "Okay ... Tell it to find my mother"...because I was adopted, and while I can't really say that it bothered me...I was excruciatingly curious.

He got me online, and gave me the basics of how to do web stuff, and I started digging. I was looking for two things at the same time. The first was a straight up web search for mom. The second was anything I could find about how these things were put together, and something called "Hacking" (the movie helped...) that appeared as an excellent plan 'B' if the search didn't pan out.

Six months later I got an Email from one of the sites I'd found for that sort of thing ... Two hours later I was on the phone with Mom.

Ultimate question, was answered ... Deal had been made ... The rest is history.. ;)
omg, I was not expecting that.  beautiful story, dude.  Thanks for sharing.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 02:23 AM »
-yeah, really captivating story, Joker.  :up:

Thankfully I didn't catch any reason for the devil's part of it all.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 04:26 AM »
omg, I was not expecting that.  beautiful story, dude.  Thanks for sharing.

+1  :-*
Tom