topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FTC: Reclaim Your Name  (Read 3992 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FTC: Reclaim Your Name
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:51 PM »
  And yet they still don't go far enough.

FTC commissioner calls for way to 'reclaim your name'

06.26.2013 10:05 AM

U.S. consumers should be able to reclaim control of their personal data from data brokers, websites and other companies, a member of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said Wednesday.

http://www.pcworld.c...claim-your-name.html

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FTC: Reclaim Your Name
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:53 AM »
they still don't go far enough.

And never will.

The FTC is still part of the federal government. And our federal government hasn't been a big advocate of personal privacy, or putting the rights of consumers above the interests of business.

Not for the last 20 years at any rate. :-\

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44 PM »
they still don't go far enough.

And never will.

The FTC is still part of the federal government. And our federal government hasn't been a big advocate of personal privacy, or putting the rights of consumers above the interests of business.

Not for the last 20 years at any rate. :-\

As long as the gov't is getting data from these companies they're happy...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 06:28 AM »
So... I order to not be tracked...you sign up for a don't track me list. Which will of course need to have some level of detail about you to ensure that you specifically are the one that is not tracked. To further ensure your not tracked-ness, all of the no track folks are compiled into a database that is made available to everyone that is to not track you, so that they can more easily verify that your activities aren't saved in the wrong places.

So ultimately...you still end up in a database...as an easily targetable demographic.

...What exactly does this change?  :-\

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02 PM »
So... I order to not be tracked...you sign up for a don't track me list. Which will of course need to have some level of detail about you to ensure that you specifically are the one that is not tracked. To further ensure your not tracked-ness, all of the no track folks are compiled into a database that is made available to everyone that is to not track you, so that they can more easily verify that your activities aren't saved in the wrong places.

So ultimately...you still end up in a database...as an easily targetable demographic.

...What exactly does this change?  :-\

Which is why I stress an OPT-IN approach and all that it would bring.  But even then, how do we know they're obiding by the law?  If it was just outlawed like it should have been from the start we wouldn't be having this discussion....   >:(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:15 PM »
If it was just outlawed like it should have been from the start we wouldn't be having this discussion....

Which is what I was driving at. Resolving the tracking issue by starting yet another list, is like trying to take your mind off a nose bleed by dropping an anvil on your foot.  :)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 07:48 PM »
If it was just outlawed like it should have been from the start we wouldn't be having this discussion....

Which is what I was driving at. Resolving the tracking issue by starting yet another list, is like trying to take your mind off a nose bleed by dropping an anvil on your foot.  :)

;D  I love that analogy  :lol: