ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 History

(1/3) > >>

sicknero:
This isn't something that especially concerns me personally, but it came up in discussion elsewhere so I thought I'd post and see what you all have to say about it.

People seem to be having problems accessing/viewing their W7 history - the folder in Users\...\AppData that sorts recent items into subfolders by date and so on. I discovered today that I do too - I can't open the folder by any way that I know of, I can only view the contents via the subfolder dropdown in QTTabBar. One person I spoke to can't even see the folder at all.

So I was wondering if anyone's come across this and has a solution? Or better still, knows of a decent third-party app which would run continuously and maintain such a history - files accessed/renamed/deleted and so on. I've had a look at Nirsoft and System Explorer etc, but nothing seems to quite fit the bill.

cmpm:
Listary is what I count on now for file history stuff.
I use the free version.

http://www.listary.com/

Stoic Joker:
The IE history isn't so much a group of folders as it is a database of where the current user has browsed. This is easier to see if you have show hidden system files turned on and browse to a different user's profile.

I've always had good luck with the Nirsoft utility in that regard.

sicknero:
Thanks for your replies : )

It isn't just internet history we were diiscussing though but the one that includes Windows Explorer, the directory which exists at (in W7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\ and also shows files opened as well as browsing history.

Turns out that the person in question had ticked "Show hidden..." but neglected to untick "Hide protected...", so that's sorted now. My own problem with actually opening the directory turned out to be one of those locked junction directory instances that occur in W7, so that's sorted now as well.

I've still got in mind some kind of third-party app which will display history along with a few extra details and, be immune to history cleaners such as ccleaner. Listary is very good yes, I've used it before but isn't really what I'm thinking of. Nirsoft is also excellent, I'm still looking through the suite to see if there's anything in there.

But the initial problem is sorted, thanks again.

dr_andus:
I've still got in mind some kind of third-party app which will display history along with a few extra details and, be immune to history cleaners such as ccleaner.
-sicknero (June 26, 2013, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

RecentX might do the trick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version