topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Help me choose my next smartphone  (Read 18750 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help me choose my next smartphone
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Abort! Abort! 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:42 PM by Arizona Hot, Reason: Couldn\'t get rid of a bad quote. »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I personally think the hype of the 41 megapixel camera is stupid.  Not that the camera isn't great.  I find that it distracts from some of the more important windows phone related issues that could be addressed.

Windows Phone 8 has been a disappointment on many levels. When Windows Phone 7 first happened, it was exciting ... but didn't even have clipboard support. Eventually the "Mango" update came along, and that was the only significant update to the platform in the last couple years. Windows Phone 8 was a major update in that it was a major version bump and total rewrite of the OS, but I don't consider it a significant update. In many (most?) ways, it was a step backwards in terms of usability. It came with the promise that this new RT based platform would be more actively updated over time... exactly zero significant updates later, we can write that off as false. There's a similar promise coming along with the next update but I won't hold my breath. Nokia has done its best to fill the gap to some extent with its own third party additions, Network+, Phone Extras, exclusive apps/games; at the same time, Verizon is the only network that supports the first party data sense.

There's been a lot of hype and a lot of disappointment. Despite all that, it's the platform I keep coming back to. I prefer the simplicity and elegance of Windows Phone over Android. While BlackBerry has a similar charm and even better usability, its app selection makes Windows Phone's modest selection seem robust.

Hopefully some time soon Microsoft (and BlackBerry for that matter) gets into its groove and really starts actively developing the platform--you've got to be fluid to keep pace in the mobile space. You can't start behind the pack, stagnate and expect to compete let alone win the race.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I personally think the hype of the 41 megapixel camera is stupid.  Not that the camera isn't great.  I find that it distracts from some of the more important windows phone related issues that could be addressed.

Windows Phone 8 has been a disappointment on many levels. When Windows Phone 7 first happened, it was exciting ... but didn't even have clipboard support. Eventually the "Mango" update came along, and that was the only significant update to the platform in the last couple years. Windows Phone 8 was a major update in that it was a major version bump and total rewrite of the OS, but I don't consider it a significant update. In many (most?) ways, it was a step backwards in terms of usability. It came with the promise that this new RT based platform would be more actively updated over time... exactly zero significant updates later, we can write that off as false. There's a similar promise coming along with the next update but I won't hold my breath. Nokia has done its best to fill the gap to some extent with its own third party additions, Network+, Phone Extras, exclusive apps/games; at the same time, Verizon is the only network that supports the first party data sense.

There's been a lot of hype and a lot of disappointment. Despite all that, it's the platform I keep coming back to. I prefer the simplicity and elegance of Windows Phone over Android. While BlackBerry has a similar charm and even better usability, its app selection makes Windows Phone's modest selection seem robust.

Hopefully some time soon Microsoft (and BlackBerry for that matter) gets into its groove and really starts actively developing the platform--you've got to be fluid to keep pace in the mobile space. You can't start behind the pack, stagnate and expect to compete let alone win the race.
exactly true on all points.  I was about to go to android or blackberry, but the kicker was the outlook integration for android (not as smooth as wp8) and for blackberry, well, let's just say consumer confidence in their product is quickly disintegrating.  So after two exchanges with ATT for battery issues, i'm sticking with the lumia 920.

Nokia has done some nice things with their app updates.  I mean, at least they are visibly trying to improve it.  Im quite happy with the Drive app, which i use a lot.  And their maps is good, too.  But for god's sake, can Microsoft do something...anything...that even hints that they are listening to their customer's concerns?  I'm talking about teeny tiny improvements like I mentioned above.  I'm not talking about drastic rewrites to the kernel or anything.  This is Windows...it's supposed to be the configurable, geek friendly OS.  At the moment, it's even more locked down than Apple!  These big companies are a lost cause now.  They just don't give a shit anymore, they can do whatever they want, they don't even need to do anything, and they will continue to grow and get massive amounts of money.  And nobody can say anything because they have all sorts of access to media channels, and people are dumb anyway, so they'll just repeat whatever the billboards say.  And you can't really start your own competitor company, just because (of many reasons).  So this is it.  Our options are just these mediocre products and non-existent customer friendliness.

People really need to wake up and get with it with the tech education.  I mean shit, there's all these free Khan academy videos, fantastic TED talks, etc. all over the place.  people think apps are cutting edge tech?  There are people levitating objects, bending light, tracing the origins of skin color using NASA satellites, all these amazing things...all for free, all right at our fingertips.  Yet so many people still have this "fear" of technology.  I fix people's computer issues and they think I'm a f---ing wizard.  And that makes me feel good and all, but geez, so out of control.  Argh!!!

I love music and girls soooooo much.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 01:52 PM »
I think I'd be interested in the Nokia.
If it ran Android, that is.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Well, I think I know now what my battery issues are.  When there is a wifi available, and there is trouble connecting to it like it's a secured connection that you don't have access to, or a weak signal, then it seems like the phone keeps trying to connect to it and sucks up the battery juice.  And I think it's similar to a signal that's weaker than expected.  So when I'm at work, my phone can't connect to the secured work connection, and even though the phone shows full bars and LTE, the internet really struggles (either shitty ATT, or shitty windows icon programming).  So it's like it's trying to connect but can't and uses up the battery all day long.

THis can totally be addressed with some options or some updates to the OS, but good luck with that.  so frustrating.  i can't even delete the offending wifi networks from the auto-connect list.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 03:53 PM »
Can you turn the WiFi off?
That's what I do, till I need it.
I have ATT with a Pantech SmartPhone.
It should be an easy setting to find, but I've never used a windows phone.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Can you turn the WiFi off?
That's what I do, till I need it.
I have ATT with a Pantech SmartPhone.
It should be an easy setting to find, but I've never used a windows phone.
I don't want to turn it off.  then i have to turn it on whenever i'm in an area i can connect to wifi automatically.  but yes, i can turn it off.  and on when i get home.  and off when i get back to work.  and back on at home.  Yay.  what convenience.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 04:01 PM »
I don't want to turn it off.  then i have to turn it on whenever i'm in an area i can connect to wifi automatically.  but yes, i can turn it off.  and on when i get home.  and off when i get back to work.  and back on at home.  Yay.  what convenience.

There's a setting to tell it not to automatically scan for new networks, have you tried that? I have that option enabled, and always have WiFi on. I have to manually add new networks by opening the wifi settings, but you only have to do that once. When you're around that network, it'll reconnect but ignore all others.

As for deleting . . . can't you just press and hold and then forget the network? (My phone is in the shop, so I can't confirm, but I am certain you can forget networks)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 04:10 PM »

There's a setting to tell it not to automatically scan for new networks, have you tried that? I have that option enabled, and always have WiFi on. I have to manually add new networks by opening the wifi settings, but you only have to do that once. When you're around that network, it'll reconnect but ignore all others.

As for deleting . . . can't you just press and hold and then forget the network? (My phone is in the shop, so I can't confirm, but I am certain you can forget networks)
Yes I have that setting off.  And normally you can delete the network by holding it, but it's buggy.  if it's trying to connect, it won't let you.  and if it's not trying to connect, holding it down doesn't do anything because as soon as you let go it asks for the user/password for that network.  it's just buggy.  i mean, just give me a freaking setting on the bottom and forget all this holding nonsense.  or fix it.  something!