ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help me choose my next smartphone

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
Until the end of the month ATT is offering an exchange of contract smartphones while waiving the "activation fee".  I have a windows phone 8 (lumia 920) currently.  It's ok, does the job.  But it sucks at a lot of things.  it is the most unconfigurable phone I've ever seen.  The battery life is bad, most of the time it will drain in less than 6 hours whether I'm using it or not.  The wireless charging pad is really cool, but I'd prefer having a phone that doesn't make me worry about it.  if I use the gps map app to navigate an hour trip, often that will drain the battery by over 50%.  So that's my complaint, plus I can't really play with the phone.

The good thing is that it syncs with my office Outlook flawelssly.  I've read Android and the Blackberry Z10 have issues (please confirm, I'd like to know more).  I've used Android before but I can't remember how the Outlook syncing was.  I do remember it being really hard to do.

So here's the plan: tomorrow the htc one "google edition" comes out.  I'm going to get that so i can have a "play" phone.  (this is not part of the exchange).  The google edition phone will allow me to get my geek on and I can try out crazy apps, try different ROMs, etc.  But I need a business phone also just in case (I don't actually need two).  It's just the Outlook thing bothering me.

my priority for the exchange:
1) Blackberry Z10 (good message hub, fast, good size for biz)
2) Galaxy S4 (just to compare to HTC One)
3) Galaxy Note 2 (great overall phone, but big)

Any thoughts/experiences?  Please share!

Ath:
If you're not relying on Outlook Tasks to be synced, then by all means get a phone with Android 4.1 or newer on it, my appointments and e-mail sync just fine with our Exchange (2007/2010) server.
Android's standard e-mail app doesn't sync Tasks (AFAIK), but commercial offerings seem to do, but I don't want to pay for that :)

BTW: I'm on a Sony Xperia S, with Andoid 4.1.2, and am very happy with it, except for the battery life that's 'sub-optimal', but not really bad.
Also have an iPhone 4, that has excellent battery-life and perfect Exchange integration (don't know about the Tasks thing though, I don't use it  :huh:), but that one is supplied by my employer; I had an Android phone before I got the iPhone, and want to keep both (though I actually prefer Android).

superboyac:
If you're not relying on Outlook Tasks to be synced, then by all means get a phone with Android 4.1 or newer on it, my appointments and e-mail sync just fine with our Exchange (2007/2010) server.
Android's standard e-mail app doesn't sync Tasks (AFAIK), but commercial offerings seem to do, but I don't want to pay for that :)

BTW: I'm on a Sony Xperia S, with Andoid 4.1.2, and am very happy with it, except for the battery life that's 'sub-optimal', but not really bad.
Also have an iPhone 4, that has excellent battery-life and perfect Exchange integration (don't know about the Tasks thing though, I don't use it  :huh:), but that one is supplied by my employer; I had an Android phone before I got the iPhone, and want to keep both (though I actually prefer Android).
-Ath (June 25, 2013, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
No i don't care about tasks.  What made the iphone integration perfect?  Could you explain the differences between iphone and android?

if that's the case, I'll be very happy with the HTC One.  Now...should I switch windows phone for blackberry?

Ath:
No i don't care about tasks.  What made the iphone integration perfect?  Could you explain the differences between iphone and android?
-superboyac (June 25, 2013, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Comparing iPhone to early Android's (pre-4.0) then iPhone Just Works. Now, modern Android's also Just Work.

if that's the case, I'll be very happy with the HTC One.  Now...should I switch windows phone for blackberry?
-superboyac (June 25, 2013, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not a chance, BB is just making Android's with a twist, trying to keep their head above the water.

superboyac:
thanks ath, very helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version