ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Blowback from Snowden's revelations... this isn't pretty...

(1/5) > >>

wraith808:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/23/1218102/-US-NSA-Accused-of-Criminal-Privacy-Violations-in-Dozens-of-Nations-Snowden-Blowback

TaoPhoenix:
Now we get to see if they can do anything about it, or whether the US Gov will "divide and conquer" each nation one by one to get them to go silent.

I know, the US Media is starting their spin campaign, but articles like this are making me wonder why it's so hard for him to find asylum.

dr_andus:
Yup. Here is what China has got to say about it.

The Chinese government has expressed deep concern about Mr Snowden's allegations that the US had hacked into networks in China.

Tuesday saw the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party praise Mr Snowden for "tearing off Washington's sanctimonious mask".

In a strongly worded front-page commentary, the overseas edition of the People's Daily said: "Not only did the US authorities not give us an explanation and apology, it instead expressed dissatisfaction at the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region for handling things in accordance with law.

"In a sense, the United States has gone from a 'model of human rights' to 'an eavesdropper on personal privacy', the 'manipulator' of the centralised power over the international internet, and the mad 'invader' of other countries' networks."
--- End quote ---

dr_andus:
P.S. It's kind of funny for the Chinese now to admit that the US used to be "a 'model of human rights'"... It seems to imply that they accept that past US criticism of China's human rights record had been justified. How things are changing...

40hz:
I know, the US Media is starting their spin campaign, but articles like this are making me wonder why it's so hard for him to find asylum.
-TaoPhoenix (June 25, 2013, 02:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome to the twilight's last gleaming...

Had this happened back in the 70s, there would be no question whatsoever about impeachment, resignations, and criminal prosecution of government officials and officers over any of this.

I think it's a frighteningly clear indication of just how far the United States has gone down the road of accepting its future as an Orwellian police state in that no one in its press, legislature or judiciary has so much as even broached the topic of impeachment or criminal prosecution to date.

There's a Latin inscription found on many old sundials alluding to the effect of hours: Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat. Translated it means: All wound, the last one kills. The same could equally be said about abuses of government power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version