ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (79/139) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

In more "Snowden-esque" news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/us/federal-prosecutors-in-a-policy-shift-cite-warrantless-wiretaps-as-evidence.html?hp&_r=2&

"Federal Prosecutors, in a Policy Shift, Cite Warrantless Wiretaps as Evidence
By CHARLIE SAVAGE
Published: October 26, 2013

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department for the first time has notified a criminal defendant that evidence being used against him came from a warrantless wiretap, a move that is expected to set up a Supreme Court test of whether such eavesdropping is constitutional."

---

If I didn't know better, this feels someone made a mistake, because up until now they were going all "if I deny it hard enough I can make it true".

Now if they *admit it*, then they're going for the blatant angle "haha, we've got the lock on the whole system, so what do we care about little things like the Consitution or those silly Supreme Justices".

Renegade:
Yeah, there's a bit of a fuss being kicked up by Merkel due to her mobile telephone bing 'tapped'. It will help, but it could have some more 'omph' to it imo.
-tomos (October 26, 2013, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehehe! Yep. The cracks are spreading...

Here's a Reuters article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/26/us-germany-usa-spying-idUSBRE99P08G20131026

President Barack Obama told the German leader he would have stopped it happening had he known about it.
--- End quote ---

i.e.

* He has admitted it
* He has admitted that it is wrong
That's a big deal.

In an SCS document cited by the magazine, the agency said it had a "not legally registered spying branch" in the U.S. embassy in Berlin, the exposure of which would lead to "grave damage for the relations of the United States to another government".
--- End quote ---

i.e. The US is running black ops out of the US embassy in Berlin.

Man... this is some really juicy stuff! ;D

Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung also said Obama had told Merkel he had not known of the bugging.
--- End quote ---

i.e. The POTUS isn't the one running the country... So who is?

Merkel's spokesman and the White House declined comment.

"We're not going to comment on the details of our diplomatic discussions," said Caitlin Hayden, a spokeswoman for the National Security Council at the White House.
--- End quote ---

i.e. We've screwed the pooch so badly that the only thing we can do is hide. Well, that and you don't deserve to know, stupid serfs.

So, what's the buzz at the watercooler? Probably something about "Dancing with the Stars"...  :-\ Any wonder why we're "stupid serfs"?

Renegade:
In more "Snowden-esque" news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/us/federal-prosecutors-in-a-policy-shift-cite-warrantless-wiretaps-as-evidence.html?hp&_r=2&

"Federal Prosecutors, in a Policy Shift, Cite Warrantless Wiretaps as Evidence
By CHARLIE SAVAGE
-TaoPhoenix (October 26, 2013, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like Charlie Savage. He's got some really good stuff that he's published. I think that one story in Athens woke him up a bit. ;)

TaoPhoenix:
President Barack Obama told the German leader he would have stopped it happening had he known about it.
--- End quote ---

i.e.

* He has admitted it
* He has admitted that it is wrong-Renegade (October 26, 2013, 09:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

More high stakes bluffing Renny.

Because today's news says ... wait for it ...

German media: Obama aware of Merkel spying since 2010
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-aware-merkel-spying-since-2010-german-report-092009842.html

"Berlin (AFP) - US President Barack Obama was personally informed of phone tapping against German Chancellor Angela Merkel, which may have begun as early as 2002, German media reported Sunday as a damaging espionage scandal widened.

Bild am Sonntag newspaper quoted US intelligence sources as saying that National Security Agency chief Keith Alexander had briefed Obama on the operation against Merkel in 2010.

"Obama did not halt the operation but rather let it continue," the newspaper quoted a high-ranking NSA official as saying.

News weekly Der Spiegel reported that leaked NSA documents showed that Merkel's phone had appeared on a list of spying targets since 2002, and was still under surveillance weeks before Obama visited Berlin in June. ..."

We need a name for this kind of "the old way of political lying isn't working so well anymore when the refutation can spread like wildfire"! It's a Superset of what they used to call the Streisand Effect, but that term was applied more to local embarassments by people.

This is far higher stakes.
1. VIP #1: "I did not know about X. I would not have allowed X if I had known about it."
2. Reporter: "Here is a copy of your top secret clearance briefing from three years ago that formally notified you of X."
3. VIP #1: "Uhh..." (Looks panicked at the teleprompter for a desperate spin-doctor saving move.)

Renegade:
More high stakes bluffing Renny.

Because today's news says ... wait for it ...

German media: Obama aware of Merkel spying since 2010
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-aware-merkel-spying-since-2010-german-report-092009842.html

"Berlin (AFP) - US President Barack Obama was personally informed of phone tapping against German Chancellor Angela Merkel, which may have begun as early as 2002, German media reported Sunday as a damaging espionage scandal widened.
-TaoPhoenix (October 27, 2013, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

HAHAHAHAHAA~!

THAT.IS.AWESOME!

Oh man... I'm going to LOVE these fireworks! With any luck, they'll burn down the Reichstag and the White House AGAIN! :D :P (Yes... I know... it's a joke.)

Reminds me... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version