ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (71/139) > >>

mouser:
I read two books about Chris Boyce (Falcon and the Snowman, Flight of the Falcon) when I was in high school and was completely enthralled by them.

In the 1970s Boyce was a young kid who opposed the military industrial complex and unexpectedly found himself working for the government in a position that gave him access to military secrets.  He and a friend (Daulton Lee) eventually became spies and sold information to a foreign government.

Wired has an interview with Chris Boyce where they discuss the parallels to Snowden and Manning.  It's quite interesting to hear his take on the issues.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/09/boyce-qa/

ps. This interview coincides with the release of a new book by Boyce on the incident, The Falcon and The Snowman: American Sons.

Renegade:
Interesting interview. Here are a few interesting snippets.

WIRED: What do you think of the Snowden leaks?

Boyce: Well I think he’s done a service to the Bill of Rights. I think he’s protecting our freedoms. I’m glad he did what he did...

...snip...

Boyce: I think everything since 9/11 has been [ed: overkill]. The Patriot Act and all this, it’s all overkill. It’s overreach by the surveillance state.

...snip...

Boyce: Well, I agree with what my wife Cait said here not so long ago: The average American is more interested in how much cream and sugar he has in his coffee than his civil liberties.
--- End quote ---

Sigh...

I wish more people would get angry about this. Or upset or just talk about it. Something. Just to keep up the pressure.

TaoPhoenix:

More Snowden news!

(Preamble: Notice the big difference somehow between Bradley Manning and Snowden? Why do I know nothing of what Manning uncovered and Snowden's info is consistently getting out? And yes, slow feeds are proving more powerful than "1 data dump no one will look at"! Because like Ad guys learned 80 years ago, "exposures" count.)

From Slashdot's copy:
"Snowden Strikes Again: NSA Mapping Social Connections of US Citizens"
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/09/29/0326239/snowden-strikes-again-nsa-mapping-social-connections-of-us-citizens

""The New York Times is reporting on yet another NSA revelation: for the last three years, the National Security Agency has been exploiting its huge collections of data to create sophisticated graphs of some Americans' social connections that can identify their associates, their locations at certain times, their traveling companions and other personal information. 'The agency can augment the communications data with material from public, commercial and other sources, including bank codes, insurance information, Facebook profiles, passenger manifests, voter registration rolls and GPS location information, as well as property records and unspecified tax data, according to the documents."

This one is pretty big. It's the next move of the game! Because with proof that the NSA/etc is *not* as inept as they like to pretend, if they have social maps of everyone, it's the conceptual beginning of the end of Social Media. (But only a VERY SLOW  beginning!)

Some funny notes:
1. If they're operating at this level, it makes the "cop shows" really funny! I'll leave it to my betters to ... uh ... start the laughter!
:D

2. This time it's the NY Times reporting. They have enough legal sharks to hold onto their hats against a little bit of bullying. Snickering aside, NYT is still one of the top seven papers in the US. So that's about as big as big media gets. So did Snowden get some good high class help to be able to keep doing this stuff?

TaoPhoenix:

Then there's this alternative:

http://gawker.com/naomi-wolf-is-a-snowden-truther-513470303
"Specifically, Wolf wishes to convey her "creeping concern" that Snowden "is not who he purports to be." Who is he, then? Signs point to his being one of them. You know: THEM.
""He is super-organized, for a whistleblower"—so organized, his methods resemble those of "high-level political surrogates."
"He conveys his message "without struggling for words." Again, like a political surrogate. "
"...Julian Assange is careful to keep lots of lawyers around him, unlike Snowden, who is suspiciously well organized and composed, except for his failure to get a lawyer. Because Julian Assange is the genuine article, not like Snowden, and whistleblowers who are the genuine article "don’t tend ever to call attention to their own self-sacrifice," which is a thing that Julian Assange would never dream of doing in a million years. "

IainB:
Interesting interview. Here are a few interesting snippets.
...snip...
Boyce: Well, I agree with what my wife Cait said here not so long ago: The average American is more interested in how much cream and sugar he has in his coffee than his civil liberties.

--- End quote ---
Sigh...
I wish more people would get angry about this. Or upset or just talk about it. Something. Just to keep up the pressure.
-Renegade (September 28, 2013, 01:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
So @Renegade, how much cream and sugar do you have in your coffee? I drink coffee by the mug-full and prefer milk, not cream - just a dash, and of the skimmed variety, not full cream.
Sugar, I like maybe a level teaspoon-full in the mornings, and at most a half teaspoon-full in cups of coffee after that. I love coffee.     :-*
I didn't know this was going to be a discussion about coffee. How nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version