ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (52/139) > >>

Tinman57:
@T0Man - Mea culpa - got careless with the dates. :-[

FWIW, Wikipedia is citing the maximum speed and cruise speed as both at .92 Mach, and citing the USAF as its source for the specs. Seemed odd to me that both speed specs were the same, but I'm no expert. You might want to go in and do an edit. :)

Had a fighter jock who first saw action around the end of Viet Nam tell me that by the end of that war it was pretty obvious dogfighting was over. He told me at the speeds the fighters were moving even back then it was already becoming impractical. And on a head to head pass, all other factors being equal, whoever fired first usually won. So the name of the game became more to sneak up and shoot first rather than go mano a mano with an enemy pilot. He said once the new "smart" weapons systems and support from E-6B Looking Glass aircraft and satellite recon all came online, it then got down to who had the best technology. He said his feeling was the fighter pilots were slowly becoming highly trained delivery boys whose main role was to cart the new weapons around until you were close enough to let them off the leash so the "chip-brain" inside them could decide what to do next.

Said he was glad he got out when he did, which was right after Desert Storm. (He's a bit crazy IMHO, but he's still a great guy.) ;D
-40hz (July 26, 2013, 11:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The A.F. never publishes the max speeds of their aircraft.  The F15 Eagle was always rated at Mach 2.2+.  That little + is the difference.  ;)

When the F4 Phantom II first came to life (F4A to F4D), it didn't have a cannon.  All of the "experts" said it didn't need a cannon because everything is missiles now.  The pilots raised so much hell and aircraft losses were so high that they bolted on a 20mm Vulcan cannon pod to it's belly.  Now why in the age of missile carrying aircraft would you need a cannon?  Well, you can only carry so many missiles, and when they're all gone, your defenseless.  Another problem with missiles, when your up close and personal it's almost impossible to get a missile lock.  Pull the cannon trigger, problem solved.  When the F4E came to life, it had an internal 20mm Vulcan cannon.

Tinman57:
The F35 JSF?!?!

The term alone is already becoming more and more "dirty". That plane is a lot like Google actually...that plane is already so long in beta that alternative fighter planes are already taken out of commission because they themselves already become too old.

I think that plane was intended to replace the F16 in the Dutch air-force for more than 10 years now, each plane costing almost twice as much as initially specified by the manufacturer. Only last week the first one is delivered to see if it up to the task.

If you would ask me (and I know that no-one did) that plane is either too advanced for its own good or aeronautical engineers are not as good as they once were.

Day late, dollar short anyone? -Shades (July 26, 2013, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) is a collectively built aircraft being built by the U.S., The United Kingdom, Italy, Israel, Netherlands, Australia, Canada, Norway, Denmark, and Turkey, each making a specific part of the aircraft.
  Was there any doubt that there was going to be problems with this?  It takes years to work out the bugs of an advanced technology aircraft, but when being made from so many nations, there are going to be problems, I knew this was going to be a clusterf#@k from the start.

Now back on topic..... So Obooboo now says he's into the whistleblower system.  OK, it it just me, or does he flip-flop like a highway patrolman on a busy interstate?

Carol Haynes:
So Obooboo now says he's into the whistleblower system
-Tinman57 (July 27, 2013, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Next he will be saying he wants Snowden to come home to receive a medal ...

wraith808:
So Obooboo now says he's into the whistleblower system
-Tinman57 (July 27, 2013, 08:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Next he will be saying he wants Snowden to come home to receive a medal ...
-Carol Haynes (July 28, 2013, 03:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

No, they want him to come home, and will not seek the death penalty.  Oooh....  :o :huh: :-\

Vurbal:
No, they want him to come home, and will not seek the death penalty.  Oooh....  :o :huh: :-\
-wraith808 (July 28, 2013, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Any time a politician makes a point of telling you what he isn't doing it's because he doesn't want to talk about what he is doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version