ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (43/139) > >>

40hz:
The FSB needs to show that you'll be looked after if you cross over to them.
-dr_andus (July 24, 2013, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. While he's there.

But once airborne, there's plenty of opportunity for plausible deniability.

Besides, Putin has already gone on record as saying Snowden case wasn't an important enough issue that it should be allowed to interfere with any ongoing 'business as usual' relations between the United States and Russia.

Both presidents have now publicly downplayed Snowden's significance. From that you can be sure some understanding has emerged between them about how the endgame is going to be managed while the theme of "it's really no big deal" plays softly in the background.
 ;)

Stoic Joker:
Carefully orchestrated mid-air tragedies aside...I'm still rooting for Snowden. I'd love to see something really wild come out of his bag that the US can't spin doctor the crap out of. Give us something to kickoff impeachment proceedings with ... That'll make me giggle for days.

..And don't tell me it can't happen...I'm trying to keep hope alive damn it.  :D

wraith808:
Carefully orchestrated mid-air tragedies aside...I'm still rooting for Snowden. I'd love to see something really wild come out of his bag that the US can't spin doctor the crap out of. Give us something to kickoff impeachment proceedings with ... That'll make me giggle for days.

..And don't tell me it can't happen...I'm trying to keep hope alive damn it.  :D
-Stoic Joker (July 24, 2013, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Impeachment process leaves us with Biden.  Just as if W had been impeached, we would have had Cheney.  Incompetence vs. Evil.   *sigh*  What hope?   :huh:

Stoic Joker:
I was thinking clean house and hold emergency elections...because the only guy left in line that isn't in handcuffs is the janitor.

Renegade:
I'm not so sure that it is in the best interests of the US to actually "get" Snowden. What happens if he's got a dead-man-switch for the files he has? Ooops.

But, we'll see how this plays out... My bet is on Snowden successfully making it to wherever get gets asylum.

As for him worrying about being rendered/kidnapped... I can't see the US having the balls to do that on Russian soil. They're currently trying to start WWIII in Syria by proxy through arming different sides. Kidnapping Snowden would cause far too much tension and the bloodshed would invariably spill outside of the Middle East. My guess is that they both want their new war contained there.

Besides... Russia (likely) has better weapons systems than the US/NATO, and I don't think anyone wants to see that proved in their own backyards. And +1 for the comment above about the FSB not wanting to lose face.

(I used to go drinking with a few engineers that worked in defense, and they had nothing but praise for Russian weaponry. They described Russian tech as far beyond what is available in the west, and particularly fighter technology. Since then I've heard at least one Russian general that I can remember come out and gently remind the west about their superior systems.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version