ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (36/139) > >>

Renegade:
Unfortunately, I don't speak German, and was unable to read the article.
-Renegade (July 18, 2013, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... I just take for granted translation.  :-[

-wraith808 (July 18, 2013, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that's why I don't use machine translation unless absolutely necessary. :)

I do like that he's come out against the surveillance, but, I can't say more about him. ;) (Dept. of Ed. is... ↓)

Renegade:
For a bit of perspective on the Stasi vs. the NSA:

http://falkvinge.net/2013/07/05/stasi-vs-the-u-s-nsa-back-to-back-whos-worse-and-by-how-much/

So where the hated Stasi surveillance was a building in area, the NSA surveillance today is an entire continent.

As a final note, the word Stasi was a contraction of the East German surveillance agency’s full name, Ministerium für Staatssicherheit. It translates to National Security Agency.
--- End quote ---

In the immortal words of Darth Vader, "Impressive."

wraith808:
And that's why I don't use machine translation unless absolutely necessary. :)

I do like that he's come out against the surveillance, but, I can't say more about him. ;) (Dept. of Ed. is... ↓)
-Renegade (July 18, 2013, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eh... that's another discussion (I think it was one of those something was needed, and what we got wasn't what we needed things), but my major point from that was the fact that he said that 'America doesn't have a functioning democracy'.  Pretty strong words... but I guess only to me.  :o

Renegade:
...but my major point from that was the fact that he said that 'America doesn't have a functioning democracy'.  Pretty strong words... but I guess only to me.  :o
-wraith808 (July 19, 2013, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, I'm with you on that 110%! :D He's bang on the money there. But he sure as f*&k didn't help the situation with #2. His #2 really is a #2. :P :D

wraith808:
For a bit of perspective on the Stasi vs. the NSA:

http://falkvinge.net/2013/07/05/stasi-vs-the-u-s-nsa-back-to-back-whos-worse-and-by-how-much/

So where the hated Stasi surveillance was a building in area, the NSA surveillance today is an entire continent.

As a final note, the word Stasi was a contraction of the East German surveillance agency’s full name, Ministerium für Staatssicherheit. It translates to National Security Agency.
--- End quote ---

In the immortal words of Darth Vader, "Impressive."
-Renegade (July 19, 2013, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh... and it's bad, don't get me wrong.  I just have a thing for numbers and accuracy.

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/16829/will-nsas-utah-data-center-be-able-to-handle-and-process-five-zettabytes-of-dat

And the quality of the data is no where near the same as the Stasi, along with the endemic system of informants and fear used to get the data on a personal level.  And the sample size.  It's bad... but I hate making the same mistake in the other direction...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version