ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Non-Notepad(MS) Thread!

<< < (4/11) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Aranaea used to be a lightweight editor that was already head and shoulders above notepad when I first encountered it (version 1 or so). Now it is at version 5.

If you really want to go barebones and oldskool...there is always edxor. The installer is less than 50KByte! Or get the portable one (30KByte) if you find that excessive. This is a very decent text editor with quite a lot of extra functions (but no tabbed interface).  

HiEditor does tabs is also very small (about 3 times the size of edxor) and has functions you will likely not use as it comes from a site dedicated to "good old" ASM (assembly) coding.

Still want more? There is always Zeus. This is an expensive and extensive text editor, but they offer a lite version of their software for free.
-Shades (June 21, 2013, 07:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh okay, a couple fans for Notepad2 and forks.

I couldn't get to HiEditor because it seemed to want a registration and I'm not in the mood for that right now. Gnu Nano felt a little TOO old school DOS - I grew up just past that era.

Aranea looks like a nice backup, though having found Notepad2 which looks fine I won't spend too much time micro-analyzing them both.

Edxor looks fun/funny because I like small programs! Yet it seems to do as much as the other entries, so that's neat for 35k!

rjbull:

* TED Notepad
* Metapad
* Notepad2 Bookmark Edition (but this post made with NoteTab 7 Pro because of the "Clipbook" macros system)

x16wda:
TED Notepad[/url] [/li]
[li]Metapad [/li]
[li][url=http://www.rlvision.com/notepad2/about.asp]Notepad2 Bookmark Edition
-rjbull (June 23, 2013, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ted's Notepad has some really useful functions (and it's just a single executable) so I keep a copy in my path, but it's terribly slow on very large files (several hundred mb) from what I remember.

Edvard:
Yay, another "my favorite editor" thread.-Tuxman (June 22, 2013, 04:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

No forum is complete without one...  ;)

GNU nano, anyone?
(For edits aside coding stuff, like config files.)
--- End quote ---

I LOVE nano.  It's my go-to terminal text editor (previously stuck on Midnight Commander's built-in editor).

For Windows, I'll vote for either Notepad2 or Editor2 which comes bundled with Xplorer2.  The version bundled with Xplorer2 Lite is not unicode-capable, but the one in Xplorer2 Pro is.  If you're so inclined, you can download the Pro trial and copy out the Editor2 executable.  AFAIK, it doesn't need to be registered.  For some reason, I feel that's cheating, but to each his own...

So... what makes it special?  (from the editor2.txt file):

So what else is in it for the standalone user?

* MULTITHREADED SDI. This technicality means that multiple instances of the editor can be open at the same time with minimum impact on your system resources. You can open new windows or clone the same file in multiple windows. By default Editor2 runs in a single instance mode too, unless the new /P command line option is specified (see below).

* SEARCH AND REPLACE WITH BINARY CHARACTERS. The search and replace dialogs can now accept "binary" characters like tabs and linefeeds. You either select them from those predefined or type them in yourself in the format $xx, where xx is the hexadecimal byte number you want inserted (e.g. return = $0D). If you want a single $ just escape it with $$.

* NEW COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS. /L:nn will load a document and jump directly to line # nn. /P forces a separate process — by default Editor2 runs in single instance mode. You don't really have any incentive to force non-single instance since the memory usage gets worse with each new window. But it is there nevertheless. So the overall command line is (all arguments optional):
   Editor2 /S:<name> /V /E /L:nn /P <filename>

* DUAL BOOKMARK. The single bookmark with <Ctrl+F8> was good but not good enough for jumping between 2 spots. Now the store bookmark command will remember the 2 latest bookmarked positions and <F8> will cycle among them. Very neat. <Shift+F8> will extend the selection.

* FIND ALL. The find dialog has an option to find all occurences of the searched string. These are hilighted in one stroke for all the text. There's a command to cancel the hilighting too.

* CHARACTER CASE CHANGE. Changes the selection to uppercase or lowercase, see Edit menu.

* EXTERNAL VIEWER. This is configurable from the options dialog. Hitting <F12> saves the document and opens it in the specified external viewer (e.g. for previewing the HTML you are typing). Note that in general you need the full path to the external viewer and if it contains spaces you should enclose it in "quotation marks".

You will have noticed that all these new features and some others (escapable I/O, autocompleting combo boxes and other subtle usability improvements) have increased the pork in Editor2 whose size leapt to just under the 100KB barrier. But it's pounds well spent, I say! Enjoy!
--- End quote ---

Tuxman:
GNU nano also works on Windows.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version