ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Non-Notepad(MS) Thread!

<< < (6/11) > >>

wrbird:
Depending on what I need I use WordPad or Programmer's Notepad.  I highly recommend Programmer's notepad for a plain text editor or for a full blown editor program for writing in various types of code.  I'm going to definitely check out Notepad2 because of all the good reviews here.

oblivion:
For plaintext, I generally use Boxer -- partly because I won a DC drawing for a copy, but I've been aware of its reputation for general wonderfulness for years and years and years. I'm also quite fond of notepad++.

For richtext, I'm also very fond of Jarte. It's idiosyncratic but once you get used to the way they've implemented the interface -- particularly the clickless controls in Compact mode -- it's hard to give up on. Fast, effective and extremely solid, in my experience.

I try a lot of this sort of stuff out -- I spend a lot of time hammering my keyboard, one way or another -- and these three have floated to the top of my go-to list of things to use and pretty much stuck there. In case that's any sort of recommendation. :)

I’ve also recently discovered TextEditorAnywhere which rather nicely lets me use Jarte to type things like this. :)

rjbull:
I would probably have bought emeditor at some point if they hadn't stopped offering lifetime licenses, but I can understand why they did it.-Jibz (July 10, 2013, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
EmEditor Free for personal use, but you might find the limitations too great.  Besides, good though it is, it's a bit big for this thread?

Giampy:
EmEditor Free-rjbull (July 14, 2013, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yesterday I tried it.
First of all I don't see the difference between free version and professional version: in any case EmEditor asks the registration code.
Then, when I open a .RTF document I see also the codes of the RTF format (for example "\par")!!!!!

Is EmEditor just that way or did I miss something?

AbteriX:
First of all I don't see the difference between free version and professional version: in any case EmEditor asks the registration code.-Giampy (July 15, 2013, 04:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
You should read the announcements on that homepage, or the announcement thread of v13 here.

Then, when I open a .RTF document I see also the codes of the RTF format (for example "\par")!!!!!
Is EmEditor just that way or did I miss something?
--- End quote ---
EmEditor is a text editor. Not an RTF editor. Plain text only. Like notepad, notepad2, notepad++,...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version