topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XBone (XBox One) and Microsoft's desktop view  (Read 5761 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XBone (XBox One) and Microsoft's desktop view
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:40 PM »
So, I know a lot of people here aren't really gamers, so might not have been following the next generation console wars.  But I think that Microsoft's approach in this arena is interesting because of certain conversations here in regards to Windows 8 and glass walled gardens (and I'm willing to eat crow on this)

So first, the basics, which I'll reference with links, then give the salient points in this post:

The Xbox Is Not Always Online, But Seems To Block Used Games

Report: All Xbox One games must be installed, secondhand players must pay fee

That XBbox One Reveal sure was a disaster, huh?

XBox One is a desperate prayer to stop time

Xbox One Internet Trade Policy

XBox One Privacy, Connectivity, and Game Licensing

TL;DR - Basically, the XBox One has targeted the entertainment appliance rather than the gamer.  They are looking to replace your cable box in your house.  It requires a Kinect, and is always on.  With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies. :huh: You don't own your games, you license them, and they are no longer an insert a disc proposition, but must be installed, and registered to your Xbox Live account.  Once this is done, it cannot be installed to anyone else's account, though there is talk of a fee to allow it to do so.  If your XBox live account is suspended/banned, you lose all of your games.  Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but they are exploring the possibilities with their partners.

And now you know why it's being nicknamed the XBone.  Take it up the rear for Microsoft's partners.

"An NSFW Summary"

"More not so NSFW gifs to express displeasure"

Is this what's next for the desktop?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XBone (XBox One) and Microsoft's desktop view
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:17 PM »
So, right after posting that round-up, they have now reversed course.

Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games

That 180 seems very unlike them.  I'm still suspicious...

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:28 PM »
So, right after posting that round-up, they have now reversed course.

Xbox One Will Not Require Internet, Restrict Used Games

That 180 seems very unlike them.  I'm still suspicious...

They've got another way of boning everyone hidden somewhere.  I think it's pretty sad that you have to connect it to the internet and register it just to be able to use it.  What about the people that don't have internet?

I wouldn't buy one anyway......

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:48 AM »
  They've got another way of boning everyone hidden somewhere.  I think it's pretty sad that you have to connect it to the internet and register it just to be able to use it.  What about the people that don't have internet?

If they don't already have, they may implement it in the future. See Sony's removal of boot to other os option from PS3.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Bill Gates became the richest man in the world during the pinnacle of the (alleged) casual copy piracy "problem". But strangely ... Now that they've taken steps to solve said "problem"...their profits have tapered off. The harder they squeeze the more they lose...yet they never seem to catch on to the fact that they're choking themselves to death.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47 PM »

If they don't already have, they may implement it in the future. See Sony's removal of boot to other os option from PS3.

Yeah, I remember that.  Hard to believe that they pulled that one off....