topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Standalone Programmer: Tips from the trenches - nice article for indie coder  (Read 6517 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
From codeproject.com one of the best sites for (windows) programmers.

The Standalone Programmer: Tips from the trenches
By Matt Gullett
I have been the only programmer at my employer for about 3 years now.  I am fortunate that my boss is an ex-programmer and has a good eye for architectural details and big pictures.  However, all of the architecture, design, development, debugging, testing and refining work falls to me.  I do not have a staff to assist with the development, QA or testing so for just about every aspect of development my company needs, I'm on my own.  Many of the projects I have worked on have been very small and accomplished in just a couple of weeks, but others have spanned 3 years and are continuing.
To combat this problem I have been endeavoring to train myself on the best practices and solutions to my problem.  Many of the concepts outlined in the various books can be easily applied to one-man-shows, but others cannot.  As a result I have searched for alternate solutions to the various problems I have encountered.  Most if not all of the solutions I have come up with are not original and many of you will already know what I know and much more.  I decided to write this article in the hopes that it would help some other developers AND that I could obtain feedback from the CP audience on best practices and techniques for success.

from reddit