ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Kingsoft Office 2013 PRO giveaway

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
oh yeah, the advertised price was not the full $70, but merely $30. Yet another important detail missed. I am beginning to be really embarrassed...

-Curt (June 18, 2013, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dear Curt:

With all you have brought to the party over the years here at DoCo, you should have no reason whatsoever to feel embarrassed about anything. Your contributions are far more appreciated than you seem to think.

So just so there's no mistake, I'd like to say: Thank You!
 :)

TaoPhoenix:
Update:
I might be sold for Spreadsheet, on the UI side. I had begun trying to put out of my mind just how much Libre had moved stuff for whatever reasons. There are over twenty big ticket "moves" and bunches of smaller ones. The Exec Overview is that lots of stuff from the File menu got smashed into Libre's "Format" menu. Workhorses like Page Setup, and the Sorts and Filters and Print Area, all got moved around, and slowly, all that "it moved, deal with it" began to wear on me. Doing projects here at home felt "second rate" after having "trained" on MS at work.

So yes, if use cases come up with really fancy features, be it charts, rotating lists, maybe scripting, etc, I dunno. You can maybe always "chain" the programs together - pound out the basics in Kingsoft and then import it into Libre. But day in day out those twenty some low-level "moved features" count more for me than the fancy theoretical stuff.

So Phoeni's review is in! Now the tides are reversed! Kingsoft gets to play Default, and then something will have to break badly for me to head over to Libre's side to see what's going on!

Meanwhile, presuming nothing silly happens on the activation side, "see you in a year". And as y'all speculated, they might do a Giveaway update to 2014 by then.

Meanwhile as a weird little social thing, I was trying to quietly promote LibreOffice, but I kept feeling I had to preface it with "but watch for formatting errors etc". Since Kingsoft is "so out there" basically no one will have ever heard of it, I'll just "handwave" it away as "different versions of office sometimes don't play nice with each other".

BUT:
It doesn't seem to like docx at all, so it might be a split - Kingsoft for spreadsheets, Libre for documents! So if I were in fact to pay for something a year from now, I'd have to see the price for Spreadsheet Only. In our discussion of "what's worth paying for", that's starting to tip the balance if it's value priced say $30 as opposed to getting dragged all into MS Suite for hundreds. With missing docx support, Writer isn't enough to pay for, for me, so that one goes to Libre.

P.S. The two programs seem to fight each other a little for defaults, so be careful.

TaoPhoenix:
Actually, be "reeeealy" careful with the file extensions - somewhere in fiddling with Libre and Kingsoft, my file extensions broke pretty badly, and I'm having some real trouble getting them to behave again.

It's a systemic problem I've seen before - the last time was on the music-file side.

Update:
In general, the approach I have used before worked, with an extra wrinkle.
1. Uninstall both/all of the "fighting" programs.
2. Install one at a time and only give it partial defaults. (Here, Libre only gets Word files.)
3. Install the other to give it other defaults. (Kingsoft gets the other office files.)
Bonus: It just so happens for me that Libre 4.1 Beta simply doesn't correctly grab extensions at all, so it became a red herring. So I removed that, and went back to the 4.0.3.3 Stable build and then back to the steps above.

lanux128:
Please note this GOTD version includes 1 year license and updates.-Curt (June 18, 2013, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
keep this in mind lest you get too attached with the free version.
After one year, the full feature will not be free any more, it will be a viewer if the serial code are not entered.
Sherry
From Kingsoft Office Team
--- End quote ---
-lanux128 (June 18, 2013, 04:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

-this option never crossed my mind. What an "unusual" rule! Had I known this, I would not have bothered to tell about the giveaway. Now I am VERY disappointed - and embarrassed.
 :(  :-[

But PAYING is good, so stop rambling!-Curt (June 18, 2013, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Curt: just to clarify, there is no need to be embarrassed. you're just the messenger. :)

I was just highlighting the fact that the software's status changes after a certain time period, a stance that is quite different from previous GOTD offerings, where only updates were withheld but the software goes on working as it is. i too had a licensed copy of KSO suite (2007 iirc) but as others have mentioned there are quite a number of free suites out there.

btw, Kingsoft also offer a free version of their suite: http://www.ksosoft.com/product/office-free.html

• Compare free version and paid version of Kingsoft office suite 2013

Curt:
-thank you guys for all of your forgiving support - no wonder I like to hang out at DC's ♥

By the way: I never took the offer myself - I've purchased a well-working suite from Softmaker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version