topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kingsoft Office 2013 PRO giveaway  (Read 15523 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Kingsoft Office 2013 PRO giveaway
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:16 AM »
it really is an excellent suite, so grab it!

>>Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Kingsoft Office Suite Professional 2013 - Get all the advanced features of office suite to turn your innovative ideas into illustrative documents with Kingsoft Office Suite Professional 2013.<<

http://www.giveawayo...e-professional-2013/

June 18, 2013The first thing you’ll see when you open the newly released Kingsoft Office Suite Pro 2013 is a clean, new interface. The old features are still there along with 38 major improvements.

Writer, Spreadsheets and Presentation are the three applications included.
Key Features:

VBA Editor.
    Two interfaces: 2013 and classical ones. Two color schemes for 2013 interface: elegant black and water blue.
    Greater compatibility with Microsoft Office (97/ 2000/ 2003/ 2007/ 2010). Save documents to.xlsx format.
    Multiple tabs interface supports drag-and-drop.
    Convert Office Documents to PDF Formats.
    Automatic spell checker in Writer.
    Send Files as Email Attachment Directly.
    Package PPT files into folders or compress files.
    Exclusive features. Such as paragraph adjustment tool and table tools.

Please note this GOTD version includes 1 year license and updates.
-Kingsoft
Kingsoft Office Suite Professional 2013 is available as a Giveaway of the day! You have 23 hours 44 minutes to download and install it
-giveawayoftheday

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kingsoft Office 2013 PRO giveaway
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:38 AM »
keep this in mind lest you get too attached with the free version.

Dear Users,

After one year, the full feature will not be free any more, it will be a viewer if the serial code are not entered.

All the best,
Sherry
From Kingsoft Office Team

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:23 AM »
With LibreOffice and OpenOffice available for free forever, see no need to ever pay for an office suite except maybe MS if your needs dictate.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:10 AM »
After one year, the full feature will not be free any more, it will be a viewer if the serial code are not entered.
Sherry

-this option never crossed my mind. What an "unusual" rule! Had I known this, I would not have bothered to tell about the giveaway. Now I am VERY disappointed - and embarrassed.
 :(  :-[

But PAYING is good, so stop rambling!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Q: When is "a giveaway" not a giveaway?

A: When it's a one year loan.

:P

Maybe it's time to create a new term for something like this?

Boomerang-ware?

Loaner-ware?

Beware-ware?

"Free" as in not-ware?

:-\
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:07 AM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37 AM »
extended trial

------------

edit2:
Looking at their history, the program will be offered for free again within a year. So, theoretically, very theoretically, you could end up upgrading to version 2014 for free

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:33 AM »
   Beware-ware?

"Free" as in not-ware?

;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:53 AM »
extended trial

------------

edit2:
Looking at their history, the program will be offered for free again within a year. So, theoretically, very theoretically, you could end up upgrading to version 2014 for free

;D Awesome!

@Curt - Thx for the find either way. It's really a shame they feel the need (or possibly even do need) to play these games. I bought a copy of KO some years back. It's a very capable office suite. I recall I liked it even better than Softmaker Office at that point in time. Which was why I bought it.
 8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:26 AM »
Q: When is "a giveaway" not a giveaway?

A: When it's a one year loan.

:P

Maybe it's time to create a new term for something like this?

Boomerang-ware?

Loaner-ware?

Beware-ware?

"Free" as in not-ware?

Gotta say I'm a little surprised you went there on this one. Because to me it actually does rather make sense (in its own context). The software is "sold" using a 1 year subscription model ...(yeah SaaS - Wretch)... So you're getting a free 1 year subscription just like a normal (for SaaS) purchase. Hence they're not really tricking anyone with the 1 year freebie. Because that is how it sold.

It's just one of the many downsides to the dark new world we're all getting dragged down into.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51 PM »
^You're right. I did miss the fact they went to a subscription model.  :-[

And for which I wish them good luck because I don't see where the value added is for an office *desktop* app being by subscription only. Seriously, What needs ongoing annual updates? The dictionaries?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 02:08 PM »
oh yeah, the advertised price was not the full $70, but merely $30. Yet another important detail missed. I am beginning to be really embarrassed...

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 02:12 PM »
With LibreOffice and OpenOffice available for free forever, see no need to ever pay for an office suite except maybe MS if your needs dictate.
-Midnight Rambler (June 18, 2013, 05:23 AM)

I'll go back to this for a minute.
Having glanced at the spirit of the LibreOffice split, OpenOffice is apparently on its way out.

But then even then it's a "two horse meta-race". There's MS from way back for all its reasons, and then for a long time what is now LibreOffice has been generally seen as the most steady contender on the free side.

For me it's not even really about the money - free is nice as long as you tap that angle, but eventually I might shell out for a copy of MS Office 2010 or something Just Because. Instead, it's about the details of the features and bugs and interoperability and use cases.

Let's do a couple of notes:
Switching away from IE to Firefox was pretty easy, and for better or worse I'm on Firefox for a long time to come.
Using LibreOffice on a home machine that never had MS Office has done okay so far, though I haven't tried to do any really fancy scripting practice etc. I've warned a couple of recruiters to watch for minor formatting glitches etc, but no catastrophes there yet.

But then it gets murkier. I haven't yet found any fatal flaws in LibreOffice that would lead me to keep galavanting around multiple office suites from these companies scrounging for the mindshare scraps. I get the spirit of it all - but my last brief foray there ended with Gnumeric beginning to fall fatally behind when it stopped being able to handle newer items from MS Office.

So I'll go look at it after this post as more of a "gee, this is a fun hour's entertainment" point of view, probably looking for holistic impressions on the GUI. But to me it feels a little dangerous to bounce back and forth at whim between office programs until some combination of quirks stacks up on your document until it finally breaks and then you don't know which one (or maybe just the anti-synergy!) broke it.

Edit: I just saw this part of the site promo:

"The first thing you’ll see when you open the newly released Kingsoft Office Suite Pro 2013 is a clean, new interface. The old features are still there along with 38 major improvements.
    Two interfaces: 2013 and classical ones. Two color schemes for 2013 interface: elegant black and water blue."

So that gives me something to chew on, to see what they fiddled with for the two interfaces. Quick early wondering: Whether it's "Before and After Ribbon".

Also the site seems to say there's under 12 hours left, so if y'all wanna try it, don't dawdle!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:17 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:13 PM »
oh yeah, the advertised price was not the full $70, but merely $30. Yet another important detail missed. I am beginning to be really embarrassed...

Heh Curt, go back and edit your topic Newspaper Style! After all, anyone who believes they saw anything different is a lunatic, right?!

But yeah, you just blasted out a review, but then it's easier for others to poke holes in an existing item than to nail it cold from scratch! So hang in there!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Kingsoft Office 2013 PRO giveaway Trial Notes Part 1
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Kingsoft Office Trial Notes "live" as they happen:

1. The EULA still lists the trial as 30 days. So I have to either ignore that or find where it becomes the free year. Also it connects to Giveaway site with some special file so you need to actually install it in this trial period, not just download it and "do it later".

The latest wrinkle in EULA's seems to be this clause:

Admission
You acknowledge that you have now read and understood the EULA and have expressly agreed to be bound by all the terms and conditions of it.

2. Yep, the whole interface thing is definitely between "Office 2003 look-alike" and "After-Ribbon 2007+". One key feature of MS Office 2010 that I haven't yet mastered from the LibreOffice side is making your own custom Ribbon, so I'll glance at this one to see if that's there or not. I'll also look to see if the interface toggles in-program at a single switch or if you have to re-install it! (But see above about the time limit on installs!)

Watch out for the attempt for it to insert itself into browser favorites and the PermaTab extension for Firefox (which it informs me is not even available in this edition for Firefox 20+!)

It pulls a "thank you for installing" browser page. Among other things, note this sentence:
"Just add our application to your Facebook page and it will remind you and your friends about a new giveaway on a daily basis."

So that means Facebook is also usurping what used to be "newsletter emails" by now making them "newsletter posts on your facebook page, but this time they get your friend's eyeballs as well"!

3. It tries to put "authorship" on your documents - I can see how someone could want that, so if you want your privacy, for "name", I just put a random letter character in.

Meanwhile it does pop a box "hey click here to change user interface", so that's smart - it saves you from having to fish for it right off under some awful "tools/settings/advanced/interface/" kind of menu, though I bet it's somewhere in there like that too for later. FYI it's a little "shirt" icon in the top right corner, so after you get rid of the big "hey you" box, there it is. Not bad of an idea. More notes on that side later.

There is a sort of "pseudo-home" button in the top left that seems to have some of the old style command breakdowns, so that's nice. But the button sits there changing colors dynamically, so that could get annoying quick. There might be a setting somewhere to make that go static. I'll hunt for that later too.

It does also look like you can use that "pseudo-home" button to drop down to "tools/options" for typical "option-y" stuff. Also "Switch-UI" is there too besides the shirt icon. Remember, the UI's are modular so you can have for example the new Ribbon-y interface on Spreadsheet and the Classic one on Writer.

Speaking of Writer, either they are trying to fly under the radar / paid MS for some rights, but they seem to have done a better job matching up to the MS location of features, and that might be the kind of thing that begins to be a selling point vs LibreOffice. (Which I just installed to give this program "free shot at defaults" because I had a strange bug in L-O Spreadsheet that locked some old data into the default template somewhere!)

Meanwhile assuming it doesn't have a "time bomb" that blows up in a year, I can't see where it's doing any 1-year countdowns, so it might just possibly last longer than a year as is. (Which would be nice!) But even so, a year is a "long time", so let's say stuff like these switchable UI's finally sell you on one of these programs, part of my changing focus is to "get this year's work done, and worry about next year, next year". A year is TOTALLY different than 30 days. P.S. It's a Chinese company, if that matters to anyone.

Okay, so it's a done deal leaving K-S Writer on Classic. I'll go re-install Libre and compare the two of those later via UI stuff.

On a test file in K-S Writer, it's doing the whole "red-underline" thing for "auto-spellcheck", which isn't bad. I might have turned that off in Libre, but I now do vaguely recall wrestling a little with the spell check in Libre Writer. The regular spell check seems okay with only a 30 second test.  Word Count is under Tools/Word Count.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:10 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:23 PM »

4. In MS Office Excel 2010, the "custom ribbon" feature was activated by "right-clicking in a ribbon". Since that doesn't seem to be possible here, I went back to the Classic layout. Interestingly, since I've never worked with "powerpoint/clones" in my life, that might be really fascinating to switch back and forth those layouts to test "intuitiveness".

A wild question might be, if LibreOffice is a US-Based project and "easier to get at", maybe advice from legal counsel forced them to move their settings around to avoid legal issues from MS. But what if K-O, being Chinese, is "harder to get to", and could afford to actually match the MS settings!? That might just be a tipping point! Plus that "double interface" could be fascinating - you go Classic to "Get your work done" then occasionally flip to Ribbon to poke at new features on a rainy day when you decide you want to think "outside the box". That's because there IS in fact stuff on those ribbons - it just caused frustration because the 30 "workhorse features" you used to use vanished on you.

So, quick summary, this might be a serious contender for me UI wise! More info to come later!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Dear Curt:

With all you have brought to the party over the years here at DoCo, you should have no reason whatsoever to feel embarrassed about anything. Your contributions are far more appreciated than you seem to think.

So just so there's no mistake, I'd like to say: Thank You!
 :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Update:
I might be sold for Spreadsheet, on the UI side. I had begun trying to put out of my mind just how much Libre had moved stuff for whatever reasons. There are over twenty big ticket "moves" and bunches of smaller ones. The Exec Overview is that lots of stuff from the File menu got smashed into Libre's "Format" menu. Workhorses like Page Setup, and the Sorts and Filters and Print Area, all got moved around, and slowly, all that "it moved, deal with it" began to wear on me. Doing projects here at home felt "second rate" after having "trained" on MS at work.

So yes, if use cases come up with really fancy features, be it charts, rotating lists, maybe scripting, etc, I dunno. You can maybe always "chain" the programs together - pound out the basics in Kingsoft and then import it into Libre. But day in day out those twenty some low-level "moved features" count more for me than the fancy theoretical stuff.

So Phoeni's review is in! Now the tides are reversed! Kingsoft gets to play Default, and then something will have to break badly for me to head over to Libre's side to see what's going on!

Meanwhile, presuming nothing silly happens on the activation side, "see you in a year". And as y'all speculated, they might do a Giveaway update to 2014 by then.

Meanwhile as a weird little social thing, I was trying to quietly promote LibreOffice, but I kept feeling I had to preface it with "but watch for formatting errors etc". Since Kingsoft is "so out there" basically no one will have ever heard of it, I'll just "handwave" it away as "different versions of office sometimes don't play nice with each other".

BUT:
It doesn't seem to like docx at all, so it might be a split - Kingsoft for spreadsheets, Libre for documents! So if I were in fact to pay for something a year from now, I'd have to see the price for Spreadsheet Only. In our discussion of "what's worth paying for", that's starting to tip the balance if it's value priced say $30 as opposed to getting dragged all into MS Suite for hundreds. With missing docx support, Writer isn't enough to pay for, for me, so that one goes to Libre.

P.S. The two programs seem to fight each other a little for defaults, so be careful.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:25 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Actually, be "reeeealy" careful with the file extensions - somewhere in fiddling with Libre and Kingsoft, my file extensions broke pretty badly, and I'm having some real trouble getting them to behave again.

It's a systemic problem I've seen before - the last time was on the music-file side.

Update:
In general, the approach I have used before worked, with an extra wrinkle.
1. Uninstall both/all of the "fighting" programs.
2. Install one at a time and only give it partial defaults. (Here, Libre only gets Word files.)
3. Install the other to give it other defaults. (Kingsoft gets the other office files.)
Bonus: It just so happens for me that Libre 4.1 Beta simply doesn't correctly grab extensions at all, so it became a red herring. So I removed that, and went back to the 4.0.3.3 Stable build and then back to the steps above.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:06 PM by TaoPhoenix »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Sherry

-this option never crossed my mind. What an "unusual" rule! Had I known this, I would not have bothered to tell about the giveaway. Now I am VERY disappointed - and embarrassed.
 :(  :-[

But PAYING is good, so stop rambling!

@Curt: just to clarify, there is no need to be embarrassed. you're just the messenger. :)

I was just highlighting the fact that the software's status changes after a certain time period, a stance that is quite different from previous GOTD offerings, where only updates were withheld but the software goes on working as it is. i too had a licensed copy of KSO suite (2007 iirc) but as others have mentioned there are quite a number of free suites out there.

btw, Kingsoft also offer a free version of their suite: http://www.ksosoft.c...uct/office-free.html

Compare free version and paid version of Kingsoft office suite 2013

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 02:20 AM »
-thank you guys for all of your forgiving support - no wonder I like to hang out at DC's ♥

By the way: I never took the offer myself - I've purchased a well-working suite from Softmaker.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Okay, I'm back to the job hunt process again, so here I go trying my first decent sized "real" spreadsheet in Kingsoft!

More news later!

MUSICMAN_A_Z

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 12:19 PM »
I've had Kingsoft on my machine for years. The old GOTD code I got for Pro 2012 is not only still full version but it says on kingsoft site will activate 2013 pro version too. If a new improved version comes out that you can also get free why would you not update ? We started using this so leisure class IT beginners wouldn't have to pay for MSoft, swopping the interface (ribbon or not) was a pro feature last year now its free version too. Even does docx etc Unlike Open Office it looks like Msoft. Opening the installer as a 7zip archive was interesting last year ....