ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

<< < (75/186) > >>

kyrathaba:
Thanks, tomos. Very good observations, and I have acted upon them by editing the Prologue accordingly. Now, I'm working to integrate Perry and 4wd's comments.

4wd:
Jerking to his feet, he vomited a stream of expletives.
--- End quote ---
-
suggestion / "vomited" is too graphic and thereby distracts from content I find
Jerking to his
feet, he [spewed] a stream of expletives.
--- End quote ---

I think spewed is probably just as graphic as vomited, (well, in this country anyway), but I can't think of anything else offhand.
-4wd (July 04, 2013, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I always stumbled over 'vomited' when reading it, but figured that K was colourfully augmenting the event with Compound realities (sickness, irritability, etc) so didn't worry too much. I think spewed is less graphic than vomited, because vomited is slightly onomatopoeic  :-\
-Perry Mowbray (July 04, 2013, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

What if we get away from connotations of cookie tossing and go for something a little more generic, eg.

A stream of expletives erupted from him as he jumped to his feet.

Acquisition and reallocation of materiele.
--- End quote ---
-
=> should that be "materials" ? or is he Dutch :)
-tomos (July 04, 2013, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

With that particular instance I was of the mind that Sethra was throwing in a bit of foreign language to make it sound more exotic, hence the italics.  The way some people will throw in the odd word like faux, instead of using just boring old 'fake' - they think it sounds a bit upper class.  (Usually has the opposite effect though.)

kyrathaba:
Chapter 8
Paragraph 17.2 "How goes Operation Moving Deeper? Mentioned previously:
Chapter 7 Paragraph 16.21 "I want you to begin project Moving Deeper immediately." Maybe doesn't always need to be the same, but it was ‘Project Moving Deeper’ in 10.8, project Moving Deeper here, Operation Moving Deeper in 17.2, Operation Moving Deeper in 18.15, 19.6 & 20.6
--- End quote ---

Capitalized "project" in Ch. 7

Paragraph 17.3
"We’ve bored another fifty meters along that vector, achieving an increased depth of twenty-five meters." I'm not sure I understand 50 metres at 30 degrees = 25 metres depth?
--- End quote ---

In the above diagram, we see the relationships of the angles and sides in a 30/60/90 degree triangle. Consider the hypotenuse in the image as the downward grade of the borer. The length along that hypotenuse has a 2:1 ratio to the vertical side of the triangle. Thus, 50 meters progress in boring down at a 30 degree angle equals an additional 25 meters in depth.

Paragraph 17.4 "There’d have been a time where we’d have been tickled to death to come upon such a find" Should that be 'when'?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.15 "“Everyone feeling all better now?” asked Sethra." Didn't sound quite right: I'd say "Everyone feeling better now?" or "Everyone all better now?" Although 'all better now' is a standard phrase... maybe it's the 'feel' that makes it sound funny to me? Maybe it's just me?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.18 "Sethra’s grin caused his friend to assess what he was asking, and he caught himself." I don't know if this is an issue, but Sethra's grin make him catch himself, then he assessed what he was asking, not what the 'then' implies in the sentence.
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.22 "And there would be the superimposed virtual reality of some environment or other." Sethra is answering Veronee's direct question about them being virtually in the kyrathaba environment, so I wondered if 'some environment' would be what was answered? Maybe 'gaming environment'?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.28
"We are, to oversimplify, objects like the cat and dog in that ancient game, only in our case[,] orders of magnitude more complex." I would put in a comma there, to emphasise '...complex'.

--- End quote ---

Fixed: added the needed comma.

Our ability to think, to reason, to dream, to problem-solve -- all of the functions of life -- can now be embed in a digital format.
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.30 "I have ... engineered ... matters[,] such that this program cannot be terminated without shutting down everything in A-3." I would add the comma, if that gives a better sense. And should it be ', so that'?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.32 " warning him to harden the computer matrix, to expand it." Is the expanding part of the hardening? Because as it's written it feels like 'expand' is a clarification on 'harden', or is it another task? Back in 15.12 it was 'Harden ... . Continue to add greater redundancy.'
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.36 "but you can believe me when I tell that it is possible" Should that be 'say' or 'tell you'. I know my last attempt at creating emphasis failed... but if I was Sethra I would emphasise the three terms audibly: is possible, server reality and embedded reality.
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.37 "Since we’re hosted in computer memory in A-3" Does he mean 'Since we’re hosted in the same computer memory'?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.38 "It requires even VR game players to exit the environment entirely in order to interact with their typical reality." May be right, but wonder if 'home' may be better?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.41 "Byron asked, “How much memory do each of us, as an individual whose consciousness is now embedded into a digital substrate, take up in the matrix?”" Is Byron following on his train of thought after Veronee's question "until they find this running program"? Because it felt just a little random | out of the blue, and I wondered if linking it a little stronger in terms of the resources being used by the programme and them? i.e. 1.5 Pb * 4 * learning growth = ~8 Pb or 0.01% of memory? That may just be me tho'
--- End quote ---

Addressed.

Paragraph 17.42 "“Just for our memories and personalities, around 1.5 Petabytes. More, as we ‘learn’ via our experiences in this new ‘world.’”" Should be '‘world’.'
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.47 "Byron was relentless," About what? Because if it's the "Near future?" question, he'd just tabled it rather than pursuing relentlessly...
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Paragraph 17.49 "Veronee asked, “What’s the name of this reality, again?”" I think the comma is unnecessary here. Unless she was just about asleep, then maybe a couple more could be added?
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

kyrathaba:
The use of the comma before 'alright' seems to make it a question rather than strengthening the statement. Do you think?
--- End quote ---

Agreed, and removed the comma before 'alright'.

Changed "vomited" to "spewed". I think it reads better.

kyrathaba:
Chapter 9
Paragraph 18.3 "Small robot units the size of cats roamed the vast space." Not that I think you need to change this, but cats are very variable in size.
--- End quote ---

Changed "cats" to "baby kittens". Adorable, right?

Paragraph 18.27 "somebody gets lost in the forest and winds up perambulating in circles for days" Is it just Byron? Most people would say 'walking' I think?
--- End quote ---

Byron likes to show off his vocabulary and nonchalantly toss off obscure synonyms in place of their more commonplace counterparts. Perhaps he's compensating psychologically in some fashion? Support for a self-esteem issue is also seen in the scene where the king's steward introduces them as 'commoners' and Byron finds that irksome, where the other three shrug it off or take no notice.

Paragraph 18.38 "some other data sets I felt would be helpful, loaded into the digital substrate in which our minds now reside." Would 'preloaded' be better / more accurate?
--- End quote ---

Changed to "preloaded".

Paragraph 18.48
"Internally, the vast majority of the available volume of the ship was a huge lake of hydrogen dioxide." I'm not sure 'lake' fits this spherical description? Lake, for me, implies horizontal expanse. If it was vertical expanse, it'd be a well. If it's spherical, it'd be...  undecided  Is gravity (or lack there of) an issue here?
--- End quote ---

Changed "lake" to "quantity".

"dozens of meters beneath the surface of their lake." Does this imply them swimming level? As I'd think that without the direction that gravity gives that that wouldn't be the case?
--- End quote ---

Fixed:

They communicated telepathically. Even now, a group of them were doing so as they swam languidly together. Linked psychically, each creature in the mind-join found its own pleasure reflected and magnified by that of its fellows as they collectively basked in the waves of fear, pain, misery, and despair that suffused and radiated outward from this world, emanating from both its inhabitants and the planet itself.

"This land mass had relatively few surviving pockets of humanity" Should that be 'surprisingly'?
--- End quote ---

Changed to "surprisingly".

"in comparison to what the aliens had learned that the natives referred to as North America and Europe." Should that be 'in comparison to what the aliens had learned of what the natives referred to as North America and Europe.'?
--- End quote ---

Fixed:

This land mass had surprisingly few surviving pockets of humanity, in comparison to what the aliens had learned of what the natives referred to as ‘North America’ and ‘Europe’.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version