ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

<< < (38/186) > >>

kyrathaba:
I get it now, Perry.

Will change "To construction foremen of earlier centuries...

40hz:
Quick minor question: is there any significance to the fact Byron is wearing red neoprene coveralls in the prolog?

You made a separate sentence of it and I was wondering if this would be a lead-in to his occupation, societal rank, political affiliation, or possibly a hint of where he had just come from? Was it intended as some sort of foreshadowing?

At first I though it was just me. But a friend of mine also asked "what's the significance of red neoprene coveralls" when she read it.

She also wondered how he could be walking around in them without overheating. (She's a licensed scuba diver btw.) According to her, neoprene is very hot to wear when out of the water. So unless it was very cold in A-3, or his coveralls had climate control, he'd probably be extremely uncomfortable wearing them while sipping a hot drink - or doing anything physical earlier - which wearing coveralls seems to imply..

kyrathaba:
Quick minor question: is there any significance to the fact Byron is wearing red neoprene coveralls in the prolog?

--- End quote ---

Yes. Byron is a member of Engineering. All personnel assigned to Engineering wear red. Medical/Science staff wear blue. Environmental/Maintenance wear green. Security wear black.

This is why you see references in the book to Blues, Reds, etc.

The first chapter or two make some references suggesting that personnel have a color-tagged dress code. For example, there's a meeting of the Blues that Sethra winds up leaving early because he sees a notice on one of the chamber's large wall screens that a recent death in the compound was a miscarriage of his girlfriend's (and his) child.

You notice in the book it occasionally makes mention of the fact that Zuzana wears the Green of Environmental.

40hz:
^Thx. :)

kyrathaba:
^ No problem. Thanks for getting clarification.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version