topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!  (Read 430266 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Same here! Thx for serving as a little kick in the butt K-Man! :Thmbsup: ;D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You are inspiring me to finish my work. smiley

^Same here! Thx for serving as a little kick in the butt K-Man! Thmbsup Grin

@wraith/40hz: Great! Glad I'm having that effect. What are you guys writing about? Or is a different sort of project?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Currently some quasi military-themed sci-fi. :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ You gonna ePub first, or are you seeking a print-run?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^Well...I'd have to stop procrastinating and working on music long enough to finish it first, but I don't think I'd care either way. SF fans don't seem to have a problem with e-books so that wouldn't be an issue. I think I'd be open to either format although my inclination might be to e-pub first to see what kind of reaction I got. Ultimately I'd want to see it done up as a graphic novel more than anything else.
 8)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Note: at the end of chapter six, the italicized "Wednesday, June 14, 2283, 0103 hours, Hidden Immersion Pod Chamber" should be:

Wednesday, June 13, 2283, 0103 hours, Hidden Immersion Pod Chamber

And at the beginning of Ch. 7, Wednesday, June 14, 2283, 1000 hours, Administrator Mephord’s office

should be:

Thursday, June 14, 2283, 1000 hours, Administrator Mephord’s office

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
From the research I've been doing, about 20% of the scifi being read right now is in ebook format.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^We can probably thank Tor for that. They've been very proactive when it comes to e-publishing.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Original post contains new upload: a zip archive containing EPUB and MOBI versions for the book, up through the end of Chapter 8. :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Original post contains new upload: a zip archive containing EPUB and MOBI versions for the book, up through the end of Chapter 8. :)

Urgh...I'm never going to reach the end of this book...haven't managed to get to chapter 6 yet....  :(

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This missing quotation mark before the word "Just" has been corrected and will appear in next upload.

“Understood, the administrator replied. Just make sure the robots disperse the rock far and wide once they exit the shaft.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Urgh...I'm never going to reach the end of this book...haven't managed to get to chapter 6 yet....

You don't have to start from the very beginning each time. I've not modified the earlier chapters for the past 2 or three uploads.

Why not just read the last two chapters each time I upload? Or is it a matter of complete thoroughness, making sure the entire book hangs together from page one?

If so, MAN you are dedicated!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
He knew the chance of that was vanishingly thin.

will be changed in next upload to:

He knew the chance of that was vanishingly slim.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Corrected missing space between "sir," and "although"

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Zuzana tenses and sat up...

will be corrected in the next upload to:

Zuzana tensed and sat up.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In next upload,

We don’t have implants now.

will be corrected to

We don’t have implants now.”

as if any appliance’s power cell were removed...

will become

as if an appliance’s power cell were removed.

then Sethra admitted. “If they do either of those things

will become

then Sethra admitted, “If they do either of those things
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:06 PM by kyrathaba »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Urgh...I'm never going to reach the end of this book...haven't managed to get to chapter 6 yet....
Why not just read the last two chapters each time I upload? Or is it a matter of complete thoroughness, making sure the entire book hangs together from page one?

That was the main reason but now you've said you haven't made changes in earlier chapters since the last few Perry and I mentioned, I'll just read the last ones posted.

If and when you stop I'll start from scratch again, (then I can resume Who Goes There by John W. Campbell :) ).

A few more possibles:

Chapter 1:
Think about it: we’ve got bases on Io, Callisto, Mars, and Luna, as well as numerous layers of outwardly focused detectors in orbit of our planets, all the way out to Pluto and even Janus, constantly sending telemetry back to the home planet.

Think about it: we’ve got bases on Io, Callisto, Mars, and Luna, as well as numerous layers of outwardly focused detectors orbiting our planets, all the way out to Pluto and even Janus, constantly sending telemetry back to the home planet.

Chapter 2:
“The bottom line,” said Eddie, is that even if we blow this entirely and get put in confinement for questioning, we’ve not lost much. Each of our bodies is going to die in the coming weeks, regardless, so what do we have to lose by chancing this? And if our experiment fails, we won’t know it: once we go under into immersion, either Sethra’s theory proves out, or else we just lose consciousness and never know when we die.”

“The bottom line,” said Eddie, is that even if we blow this entirely and get put in confinement for questioning, we’ve not lost much. Each of our bodies is going to die in the coming weeks, regardless, so what do we have to lose by chancing this? And if our experiment fails, we won’t know it: once we go under into immersion, either Sethra’s theory proves out, or else we just lose consciousness and never know when we die.”

Chapter 3:
The positioning of some of the commas seems strange to me but after inwardly digesting commas I've decided I'm not intelligent enough to comment on them :)

But to give you an idea:

The other android (they were always assigned in pairs) was unable to produce audio or video for the killing, either.

The other android, (they were always assigned in pairs), was unable to produce audio or video for the killing either.

He wondered if Zuzana was experiencing something similar. Even the nausea hadn’t seemed as bad, today.

He wondered if Zuzana was experiencing something similar. Even the nausea hadn’t seemed as bad today.

-----------

He set the TCPI to the left of the rack of vials, and added the power cells to the same plastic wrack that held the chemical vials.

He set the TCPI to the left of the rack of vials, and added the power cells to the same plastic rack that held the chemical vials.

When the gun was taken apart fully, he produced eight special made tungsten components that he would need to properly modify the casing and triggering mechanism.

When the gun was taken apart fully, he produced eight specially made tungsten components that he would need to properly modify the casing and triggering mechanism.

He took the now empty vials and the plastic wrack,...

He took the now empty vials and the plastic rack,...

Chapter 4:
“Certainly. Beyond the base of the pole, it continues another eighty meters into the bedrock. It’s quite well-anchored. Trust me, this thing will be here for millennia after we’re gone.”

“Certainly. Beyond the base of the shaft, it continues another eighty meters into the bedrock. It’s quite well-anchored. Trust me, this thing will be here for millennia after we’re gone.”

Sethra stepped down from a railing where he’d been diagnosing the cameras. These cameras are in perfect working order, which doesn’t surprise me.”

Sethra stepped down from a railing where he’d been diagnosing the cameras. These cameras are in perfect working order, which doesn’t surprise me.”

“The same robots that service these anti-radiation grills also perform diagnostics and maintenance on the cameras. There’s only one conclusion that we can draw, from both my observations of these grills and your testing of the cameras.”

“The same robots that service these anti-radiation grills also perform diagnostics and maintenance on the cameras. There’s only one conclusion that we can draw from both my observations of these grills and your testing of the cameras.”

“They need to get finished and get back down here in the next fifteen minutes, so we can get out of here, and hosed down, and out of these itchy suits.”

“They need to get finished and get back down here in the next fifteen minutes, so we can get out of here, hosed down, and out of these itchy suits.”
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:09 AM by 4wd »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@4wd: you're phenomenal, bro! Made all the necessary corrections. Thank you!

I will upload my own Ch. 8 corrections, plus all these you've pointed out. The upload in the OP will be titled "KR_thanks_4wd.zip".

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, 4wd: if you want, I can hold off on uploading for a couple weeks, maybe get three or four more chapters written, giving you time to get back to and finish the book you were reading. Your call  :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Word-count Summary:

Prologue: 1,922 words
Chapter 1: 3,425 words
Chapter 2: 3,546 words
Chapter 3: 3,488 words
Chapter 4: 3,380 words
Chapter 5: 2,787 words
Chapter 6: 1,281 words
Chapter 7: 1,993 words
Chapter 8: 2,073 words

Total words (not counting front- or back-matter): 23,895 words

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@k - looks like you're running your very own private NaNoWriMo with this one. ;D

Keep going! Don't break the rhythm since you're apparently in the zone right now. We're all behind you 100%. :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@k - looks like you're running your very own private NaNoWriMo with this one. Grin

Keep going! Don't break the rhythm since you're apparently in the zone right now. We're all behind you 100%. Thmbsup

Much appreciated, 40hz  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey, 4wd: if you want, I can hold off on uploading for a couple weeks, maybe get three or four more chapters written, giving you time to get back to and finish the book you were reading. Your call  :D

As 40hz said, keep going :)

I don't have any problems switching mid-book for another book or two and then returning to what I was originally reading.

Finished up to Ch 8 now, I'll come back when I've got my lazy a**e out of bed and fired up the main machine. ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:07 PM by 4wd »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, full steam ahead, then  :D

Uploaded new archive containing up through end of Chapter 9.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Early in Ch. 8, "would be spend" will be corrected to "would we spend"

“Understood, the administrator replied...    will be corrected to:      “Understood,” the administrator replied.

nature of the alien’s technology           will be corrected to:          nature of the aliens’ technology

said Sethra with conviction. I have            will be corrected to:               said Sethra with conviction. “I have

someday wormholes may not just allow humans to traverse vast galactic distances instantaneously; they may also

will be corrected to:

someday wormholes may not just allow humans to traverse vast galactic distances instantaneously. They may also

could prevent insanity. Experimentation over the past thirty years     will become:     could prevent insanity: experimentation over the past thirty years
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:49 PM by kyrathaba »