topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!  (Read 430368 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Updated 7/25/2013:

tiny_thumb.jpg

70,320 words

It's been a heck of a ride! I've always wanted to write and sell a book, and now I have (no, I'm not ready to retire just yet on what I'm making, but still there's the feeling of accomplishment).

My novel, Kyrathaba Rising, is the first of at least two, possibly three, books in a series. The next book is entitled Kyrathaba Waxing. If there is a third novel, it will be Kyrathaba Waning.

Special thanks go to mouser for his steadfast support (he LOVES this sort of community-oriented "let's work together to make this happen" sort of thing -- as do I), 4wd and Perry Mowbray.

The novel is approximately 70,320 words in length, and is available for download at the following URLs:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/155607736/Kyrathaba-Rising
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3YJ4HY
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/339398
https://payhip.com/b/2WB5
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kyrathaba-rising-william-bryan-miller/1116225433
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:23 AM by kyrathaba »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FYI gang this can be read in the STDU viewer, though there seem to be a couple of formatting artifacts that I presume are not present on an ebook device. (At least in the epub version.)

Interesting that you chose to use a pen name.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Where do we purchase!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
there seem to be a couple of formatting artifacts that I presume are not present on an ebook device.

Yeah, doesn't display right on STDU. Firefox extension EPUBRreader seems to display it well, as does Aldiko. Kindle for PC, Kindle Previewer, or an actual Kindle device for the .mobi format.

Where do we purchase!

Heh, thanks for the boost, mouser. I will first upload it to Smashwords, and they'll convert it into multiple formats. It'll meet criteria for inclusion in their Premium Catalog, and will then be distributed to Sony, Diesel, etc. I will upload it separately to Amazon.

I'm enjoying writing it.

Anyone finding it enjoyable?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:01 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Interesting that you chose to use a pen name.

Yeah. I live in a very small town called Glens Fork. Hence, the pseudonym Glen Forkovian :) Just sort of did it on a lark. When I get as popular as Stephen King, I'll follow in his footsteps and drop my equivalent of his Richard Bachman  ;D

I've been working on Chapter 5 today, but had to take time out to weed-eat and pushmow.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:13 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm writing the book in software produced by the man behind wxWidgets, Dr. Julian Smart. The application is called Jutoh. Here's a screenshot:

jutoh_shot.pngSci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone finding it enjoyable?

I am. Very. :Thmbsup:

(Thanks for putting a redhead in it too! ;D)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@40hz: The redhead is based on my wife :)

Just finished Chapter 5. Will copy-edit tomorrow when I'm fresh.

I'm 23% of my way to an 80,000 word novel.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are you taking proofreading finds?

From page 14: "a" should be "as
Sethra tuned out, and subvocalized, “Resume dictation. Dr. Hasser has his head on straight, and the Administrator has his head in the clouds, perhaps saying hello to the aliens, if they’re still up there, and politely and charmingly asking for their help in ‘Project Moving Deeper.’” Sethra grinned and glanced around the circular, twenty meter diameter chamber, trying to take the emotional temperature of the group a a whole. Lots of crossed arms. Even more glazed expressions, though that could be

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
are you taking proofreading finds?

Thanks So much, Perry! Yes, any proofreading finds are greatly appreciated!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chapter 1: "But it was at just such moments as these, when the goal seemed impossible, than humanity had always triumphed, drawing upon a deeply hidden well of inner strength..."

than -> that

Chapter 2: "Eddie was surreptitiously running his right hand over his blue neoprene coveralls. It might have looked lude if it had been done three or four times faster, and if anyone were paying attention."

lude -> lewd

It's depressing to think that that far into the future some of humanity has doggedly held on to imperial measurements  :-\

But I digress, an entertaining read so far  :Thmbsup:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks 40 and Perry. Good catches. I will correct and upload.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It's depressing to think that that far into the future some of humanity has doggedly held on to imperial measurements

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ It's bleak in 2283 AD  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm writing the book in software produced by the man behind wxWidgets, Dr. Julian Smart. The application is called Jutoh.

How are you finding it?  I use Scrivener currently... and though I love it, as with all things to do with text editing, I'm always looking at others. :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I really like Jutoh. It was $39.95. So far, I've not regretted it.

In the original post, I've uploaded epub and mobi versions of the eBook with the addition of Chapter 5, and correction of errors noted by 40hz and Perry Mowbray.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In the original post, I've uploaded epub and mobi versions of the eBook with the addition of Chapter 5

Cool... it was depressing to see Chapter 5 totally blank ;)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Yeah, I'll try not to insert new Chapter headings from now on, unless the whole chapter is ready to be added.

Discounting front-matter and back-matter, the heart of the story (Prologue to end of Ch. 5) is now 18,507 words.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chapter 2: “So, we get our equipment in their, set it all up, and once Sethra has managed to isolate a significant fraction of the compound’s matrix computing power and storage, we plug-in. Sethra makes doubly sure that what he’s done cannot be traced.”

their -> there

Still plodding on  :)

... and correction of errors noted by 40hz and Perry Mowbray.

It's depressing to think I've been lurking around here longer than 40hz and despite having a nick one character shorter that people still get us mixed up....

I'm kidding :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 08:22 AM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It's depressing to think I've been lurking around here longer than 40hz and despite having a nick one character shorter that people still get us mixed up....

I always think of yours as referring to vehicles (4WD ... even if it's not) and 40hz as referring to music (and I know it does :))

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops, apologies 4wd :) I'm gonna add some Thanks You's in the front matter, mentioning names of proofreaders. Next upload will have Chapter 6 plus correction of their -> there in Ch. 2.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I always think of yours as referring to vehicles (4WD ... even if it's not)

Rest assured, it does...or to be more precise, the activity I enjoy the most  :)

Oops, apologies 4wd :)

Only having a bit of fun with you :D

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Couple more from me (enjoyed the read!  :Thmbsup: Hurry up with your writing!!!!  :-*):

Prologue:
Page 8 "anti virus" could be "anti-virus" / "antivirus"?

Chapter 1:
Page 9 "existing infractstructure" should be "infrastructure"

Chapter 2:
Page 10 "accompanies group pasttimes" should be "pastimes"
Page 10 "wiggle-room for screwups" should be "screw-ups"
Page 10 "Excute these commands" should be "Execute"

Chapter 3:
Page 11 "responsibility lays on the shoulders of a leader" I would have said "lies"?
Page 11 "ongoing coverup, if there is one" should be "cover-up" or "cover up"
Page 11 "heavy plastic toolcase" I would have thought it should be "tool case"?
Page 11 "Zuzana unzipped the heavy dufflebag" same for "duffle bag"?
Page 11 "The ride to our dropoff point" should be "drop-off" or "drop off"

Chapter 4:
Page 12 "here for millenia after we’re gone" should be "millennia"

About the Author:
Page 14 "last few year’s in DonationCoder’s" should be "years"
Page 14 "local methodist church" should definitely be "Methodist"

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, forgive me for going Sherlock Holmes on you here but there is a rather large inconsistancy, (well, to me anyway), I've found.

See how I go:

Monday, June 11, 2283, 2014 hours
With a heavily encrypted brief message, Sethra announced an impromptu meeting in his cubicle, sending the chime to Byron, Zuzana, and Eddie.

By my count that's four people in his room, (the sudden introduction of Zuzana where I would have thought it would be Veronee throws me a bit but to continue), this is borne out further on where Zuzana says:

"I borrowed these from an Environmental supply cache. Four suits won't be missed, especially since they're disposable after each use."

And further on:

Byron showed off his pistol, and explained its function, which drew whistles and utterances of genuine admiration from the other three...

A bit further:

...and the foursome bumbled their way forward in darkness, then clumsily boarded the large robotic vehicle.

I think that pretty much establishes there are four people on the way to the Shaft yet when we get there, there are five of them: Sethra, Byron, Eddie, Veronee and Zuzana.

It seems someone has teleported in from somewhere  ;)

It seems Perry and I have little to do after midnight here...sleep is obviously not on our agenda  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:54 AM by 4wd, Reason: Sheesh, I can talk about spelling :/ »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
4wd has a career in movie production if he's interested in being responsible for continuity. ;D

P.M. some of those may be attributable to differences in American English spelling conventions and current usage. Last I checked screwups screw-ups and screw ups were all considered acceptable spelling variations. At least over here.