ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Where all those rules against possibly upsetting people will soon lead all of us

(1/3) > >>

40hz:
From the good folks over at Propnomicon:

The Curious Case of Mr. Li
It's not the best alien gaff ever made, but I don't think it's creator deserved to go to jail.[/i]

"Shortly after he proudly posted photographs of his alien on the internet, he was arrested by the police for five days for "fabrications" that "disturbed the public order".

Mr Li was forced to admit that he had indeed sought to use his model, held together with chicken wire and glue, to mislead his fellow Chinese about the existence of celestial creatures."

It boggles the mind this was worthy of official attention. Gaffs, and gaff based hoaxes in particular, have a long and proud history around the world. Alien bodies are a huge part of the UFO subculture, challenged only by the Bigfoot fans in terms of the sheer number of "specimens" that pop up.

--- End quote ---

Tinman57:

Everyone knows that the "Grey's" have very thin lips and a small mouth, this guy ain't foolin' no one!   :P

But, that's about where it's heading in the U.S. too.  We're already dabbling in public "Thought Machines" that apparently can tell if your up to no good.  I read about that over 10 years ago, they probably have it perfected by now.  Next, The Dream Police, and I'm not talking about Cheap Trick either.....

40hz:
The ultimate manifestation will be when law enforcement works the way it did in the Max Headroom series.

In the Max Headroom media network-controlled future, law enforcement is heavily based on electronic surveillance,  signal intelligence (i.e. wire and data taps), statistical probability and profiling.

If your profile matched you could be arrested and punished for committing a crime (no more trials or evidence needed in that future scenario) even if you were not the person who committed it. Because your profile had sufficient correlation to establish you were the type that "likely would" commit such a crime - or one very similar - if given sufficient time.

It's the old "judge them for who they are - not for what they do" mindset so popular with religious zealots, petty tyrants, and political opportunists throughout human history. Max Headroom just dressed it out in shiny new Info Age apparel.
 8)

app103:
Next, The Dream Police, and I'm not talking about Cheap Trick either.....
-Tinman57 (June 13, 2013, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

George Orr, save us.

Stoic Joker:
The Dream Police, and I'm not talking about Cheap Trick either.....-Tinman57 (June 13, 2013, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

GGaaaaa! ...Does anybody else have that song stuck in their head now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version