ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WTF? A serious news story about 50-foot tall humans on a planet??

(1/4) > >>

superboyac:
Is there a joke I'm not getting here?
http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/european-southern-observatory-found-super-earth-with-super-humans/
The European Southern Observatory (ESO) has discovered over 50 new alien planets (Sept 12), which includes 16 so-called “super-Earths” and a Super Earth with Super Humans. The newly found alien planets consist 16 Super Earths with one called HD85512 which is apparently dominated by more than a dozen 50 feet tall Super Humans.
--- End quote ---

“This is the lowest-mass confirmed planet discovered by the radial velocity method that potentially lies in the habitable zone of its star, and the second low-mass planet discovered by HARPS inside the habitable zone,” said exoplanet habitability expert Wendy Waldman of the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy in Germany and Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Boston.  “It’s the only one we’ve seen with outsized human beings.”
--- End quote ---
:'( :mad: ;) :wallbash: :stars:

TaoPhoenix:

Well, yes, here is half of the joke:

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines/38344/super-earth-found-with-super-humans/

It's based on a Weekly World News (heh!) "story". (I didn't know they were Online!)

The next question is why the Guardian has it.

Could that be the next step of Vulnerability Reporting?

Today:
"Dear Guardian. I have found a security hole which could allow an attacker to compromise your systems. See attached concept notes."
"Dear Researcher: We appreciate your report, and we will work on it." (aka "Go away".)

Tomorrow:
"Dear Guardian. Because you failed to take my vulnerability report seriously, I posted a WWN tabloid item to your main web site. Regards, Researcher"
(Heard in Guardian CEO office) "RED ALERT! Get IT to fix this NOW!!"

:Thmbsup:

Tinman57:

It's really not that funny of a joke, real dry humor IMO.  It has always bothered me that we have massive radio telescopes (SETI), that for years has sent out messages into the cosmos telling any possible life-forms where we are in the universe with hopes they would send messages back.  The U.S. gov't stopped funding SETI in 1995, and now it's still being run with civilian grants and funds.
  So why does it bother me?  What makes us think that any intelligent lifeforms out there somewhere are friendly?  If they are advanced enough to speed of light travel, we would most likely be like ants for them to study and/or conquer.  Yeah, just like the series Falling Skies.  We have a plethora of resources here that would make for a nice pit-stop for any conquering entities looking to expand into the cosmos.  Hell, we may even be a food source ourselves!

superboyac:
  It's really not that funny of a joke, real dry humor IMO.  It has always bothered me that we have massive radio telescopes (SETI), that for years has sent out messages into the cosmos telling any possible life-forms where we are in the universe with hopes they would send messages back.  The U.S. gov't stopped funding SETI in 1995, and now it's still being run with civilian grants and funds.
  So why does it bother me?  What makes us think that any intelligent lifeforms out there somewhere are friendly?  If they are advanced enough to speed of light travel, we would most likely be like ants for them to study and/or conquer.  Yeah, just like the series Falling Skies.  We have a plethora of resources here that would make for a nice pit-stop for any conquering entities looking to expand into the cosmos.  Hell, we may even be a food source ourselves!
-Tinman57 (June 13, 2013, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think more along the lines of the Marvel comic epics, where some kind of cosmic egg is being incubated in the center of the earth, and the job of humans is to protect the egg until it hatches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_X

Tinman57:
I think more along the lines of the Marvel comic epics, where some kind of cosmic egg is being incubated in the center of the earth, and the job of humans is to protect the egg until it hatches.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_X -superboyac (June 13, 2013, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

We're doing a pretty sorry job of it then, look what we have already done to our planet.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version