ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Messed Up in Miami

<< < (4/5) > >>

Tinman57:
It's nice to see there are some really nice people around.  It sure cheered me up.  :)
-MilesAhead (June 12, 2013, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

I picked up an old man and his wife hitchhiking in the middle of nowhere on my way home a couple of years ago.  The old man had lost his job, house, car....Everything, and was on his way to the other side of the state for another job one of his relatives had waiting for him.  I got them about 120 miles closer to their destination.  Before I dropped them off on the side of the highway I pulled into a convenience store and handed them a $20 bill and told them to get whatever they wanted and to keep the change.  Then I gave them an unopened bottle of water that I carry in my vehicles for the rest of their trip.  I have had people help me out back when I was young (though not with $$$) and jobless, I just carried it forward.....

pilgrim:
About twenty years ago I lived for two years without any income. I never finished up homeless but I had a car sitting outside my house that I could not afford to put petrol in, which had little if any value in monetary terms because of its age and condition so it was not worth selling, I could not pay the rent, and I did finish up without any money. In the last six weeks of that period I lost two and a half stone, that was on top of the three stone I had already lost.

If I wanted to go anywhere I walked and tried to hitch a lift, I won't bore you with all my experiences but I met some remarkable people during that time many of whom had their own stories to tell, like the young guy in the big new Mercedes who had a large house, a young family, and his own business, he drove many miles out of his way to take me to where I was going and when he stopped to drop me off he opened up a compartment between the seats and took out two large denomination notes and gave them to me, when I tried to refuse he told me that ten years before he had been homeless and if people hadn't helped him he would probably still be.

There are a number of things that I never lose sight of, I never forget where I have been, I never forget that other people have their own problems, I never forget that were it not for others I would either still be there.............or nowhere.

skwire:
So far I still have a USB with my AHK_L source code.
-MilesAhead (June 10, 2013, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you'd like (and are allowed to from the library), you can upload your source to me and I'll back it up here and through CrashPlan.  Or, you can mail it to me to copy and I'll mail it back.

MilesAhead:
So far I still have a USB with my AHK_L source code.
-MilesAhead (June 10, 2013, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you'd like (and are allowed to from the library), you can upload your source to me and I'll back it up here and through CrashPlan.  Or, you can mail it to me to copy and I'll mail it back.
-skwire (June 14, 2013, 08:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you. I'll look into the nuts & bolts as I am paranoid about the USB being taken or getting broken.

MilesAhead:
Yay!!  Got my EBT replacement card today.  It works!!  Now I can avoid chocolate ice cream withdrawal.  :)

As an aside I read an article that San Fran is experimenting with allowing some restaurants to accept EBT.  Of all places to try first, they chose Subway.  Granted I haven't tried them in many years.  But any time I pop in the local one to ask a question I'm met with palpable hostility.  Makes me wish they'd try something more practical like McDonalds type places and diners.  You can often get a full egg breakfast for the price of a 1/4 pounder with cheese, in a diner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version