ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Very thin hard disks

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Ah! Okay... Same rules still apply. The thin 3.5" drives are just single (metal) platter ... hence they just don't need the extra ("full" height) room. For the portable USB drives, they are just 2.5" laptop hard drives in a plastic box. The platter is glass ... But as stated before they are surprisingly hard to break...and by that I mean while out of the drive, laying on concrete, and being hit with a claw hammer.  :D

Tinman57:
Ah! Okay... Same rules still apply. The thin 3.5" drives are just single (metal) platter ... hence they just don't need the extra ("full" height) room. For the portable USB drives, they are just 2.5" laptop hard drives in a plastic box. The platter is glass ... But as stated before they are surprisingly hard to break...and by that I mean while out of the drive, laying on concrete, and being hit with a claw hammer.  :D
-Stoic Joker (June 07, 2013, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

That......is no ordinary glass.....

Shades:
It is glass that is not supposed to alter its shape in any way or form when the temperature changes.

Glass that is used in Windows of old buildings tends to warp as it has been subject to gravity for all these years it has been in vertical position. I'll guess that ordinary glass would also warp when spinning around between 5400 and 10000 RPM (speeds of most hard drives).

Shades:
If you would create a pendulum of hard disk platters and you would hang it outside, the wind will play a nice harmonic sound/song (and you would make the job of the NSA easier as all your data is out there in public... ;D)

tomos:
With reference to https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=35130.0 I take advantage of this thread to ask (again):  would you ever use those thin (*) external hard disks for backup?

(*) pocket hard disks, thickness 13...15 mm / 0.5" about (the only ones available in the shops)
-Giampy (January 02, 2014, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know a couple of people using them without problem. I think the verdict above is also that they ok.
Do you have reason to think there might be a problem with them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version