ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Very thin hard disks

(1/3) > >>

Giampy:
Hail!
With regard to portable hard disks (traditional kind, not SSD) I see above all very thin hard disks, for example thickness 13...15 mm / 0.5 inch about. They are just convenient indeed, but also their mechanical parts are very thin and therefore very fragile.

I don't trust such hard disks.

What do you say about them? Can you judge their reliability?

mouser:
Excellent question.

I'll just point out one advantage of them that you haven't mentioned which would weigh on the side of improved survivability, which is that they allow greater airflow when put side by side with other components or hds.

Stoic Joker:
If you mean the 2.5" form factor laptop hard drives, the internals really aren't that much thinner then their 3.5" standard form factor kin. The platters are glass - but surprisingly hard to break.

We just tore down a bunch of drives here (about 50 of all sizes) for data destruction/disposal purposes. A single platter with read heads really isn't that thick (~1/8" - 3/16") so a 1/2" thick case is plenty of room for it.

mouser:
I don't think he's talking about 2.5s -- i certainly wasn't.  I think we're talking about these 3.5" sata drives that are just half thickness.

Giampy:
I refer above all to hard disks like Toshiba Stor.e, WD My Passport etc...:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version