topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:12 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: notepad++  (Read 15089 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: notepad++
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07 PM »
But you are right, I don't have to accept sucky development, which is why I'm headed for Linuxville.....
Completely your choice... but bad developers exist in Linux-land also.  It's not the OS... it's the developers making the software.

I'll vouch for that, and I've taken up permanent residence in Linuxville.  To this day, I have not found the perfect text editor.  All vi/emacs arguing aside, I had been looking for a decent replacement for Notepad++ or Textpad 5.  No dice.  All missing one or more of the most important features, and half made with hideous toolkits or idiotic dependencies.  I'm told Kate has everything I ask for, but I'll be damned before I install the whole damn KDE desktop just for a text editor.

Contro: Glad to see you found a solution.  I rather liked Notepad++ as a free replacement for Textpad 5, I'll check out PSPad next time I boot to my Windows partition.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Tried Sublime Text, Edvard?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 09:24 PM »
Yes, I did as soon as I heard they were offering a Linux version.  Doesn't look half bad, but I couldn't find the functions I need.
I know it has rectangular or "block" selection, but it's not conveniently available as a modifier key (hold down control while selecting, for example).  

The text editor functions I need/want:

Rectangular/column/block edit mode
Bookmark lines with regex search
Invert bookmarks
Perform actions on bookmarked lines (copy, delete, move, etc)
Automatic incremental block fill (most can do multi-line text entry; not the same)

Then again, this isn't my thread, and it hasn't been that much of a bother to post about otherwise.  Notepad++ and Textpad 5 did all of these quite handily.  Geany and/or SciTe do most of what I need in Linux, but still...  :-\