ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any one else have a bad Window update?

(1/3) > >>

Arizona Hot:
My Windows update today with 17 items on my XP machine went okay until after it rebooted. The cursor moved(but didn't curse) and clicking on anything did nothing. I tried control-alt-delete and clicking on the taskbar to get the task manager and clicking on the start menu icon to reboot. Nothing worked. I had to use the power button to reboot twice with no better results. I booted to Safe Mode to run System Restore to get it working again. Any other XP users here?

pilgrim:
Mine last updated about 3 weeks ago, no problems.

If you've got an installation disc try running SFC before you try updating again.

Tinman57:
My Windows update today with 17 items on my XP machine went okay until after it rebooted. The cursor moved(but didn't curse) and clicking on anything did nothing. I tried control-alt-delete and clicking on the taskbar to get the task manager and clicking on the start menu icon to reboot. Nothing worked. I had to use the power button to reboot twice with no better results. I booted to Safe Mode to run System Restore to get it working again. Any other XP users here?
-Arizona Hot (June 02, 2013, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just about every time windows releases updates, the update takes but it breaks something else in my system and I have to find a workaround.  This is why my tag-line reads as such.....

40hz:
About the only one that is a fairly regular hassle is the IE updates. Half the time they introduce serious compatibility issues with member sites. The last IE update hit one client of mine such  that half his employees could no longer access certain closed real estate and financial sites they need to do their jobs.

Getting Win7 to go back to using IE8 (since IE9 was also problematic) once IE10 had been installed was great fun. :-\

Stoic Joker:
Getting Win7 to go back to using IE8 (since IE9 was also problematic) once IE10 had been installed was great fun.
-40hz (June 03, 2013, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Strange, I just went through much the same with a medical client after our management suite decided to auto approve the optional browser updates and their access to the local hospital went poof last Monday morning. It seems the local hospital's ("Highly Secured") patient information portal requires IE8 with a build of Java no higher than 1.6b36. (you just said the F word didn't you... :) ...I know I did at the time)

I rolled them back to IE9, and then IE8. Jumped through a few hoops to get the antique Java build and all went fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version