topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Stickies - Part of the Zhorn Software Donationware Series  (Read 10223 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tom Revell's Stickies is a cute little entry into the Stickies-type software. I use it as the second half of the capture process from taking a square screen snip with Screenshot Captor.

http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/

S6_3_2013 , 2_35_55 AM_thumb001.png

He maintains a forum where he responds to bugs, features, and a new version every year or two. I haven't "version controlled" my copy in a couple of years, but for example he put in a multi-undo into one of the Beta versions after I remarked that it was too easy to work on a sticky over a long period of time, only to ruin it with a stray mouse click with the paintbrush.

http://tomrevell.conforums.com/

The Donate part is in the top left corner, though it's Paypal, which I have very mixed feelings for!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 02:37 AM by mouser, Reason: added photo and modified topic »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Stickies - Part of the Zhorn Software Donationware Series
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:40 AM »
Good post.  I've modified it slightly to add a screenshot and to highlight the fact that the author has released quite a few programs not just Stickies.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:29 AM »
I love Stickies!

Though I have Notezilla installed, the current version of it is most likely the last I will use, due to their new version requiring that you use their "cloud" to transmit notes. No more network use allowed in the new version.

Stickies has had the ability to transmit notes via a Stickies Server that is easily set up. I've used Stickies for many years now, and I just reinstalled it when I realized I had forgotten to when I got my latest computer. What a pleasure to start using it again.   :)

I donated to Tom Revell long before I was even aware of DC. As a matter of fact, I believe that Stickies was the first program for which I sent a donation. Got me off to a good start. I was surprised to see the old forum still there. So many developers have moved to "Get Satisfaction" or ZenDesk for support. It's not posted to very much but it appears that Tom still replies on occasion.

Stickies is definitely a good program that has lasted through the years.

Thank you.

Jim

conceptworld

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 05:56 AM »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for mentioning about Notezilla

We will be adding back network support in few weeks. You will be able to send sticky notes via LAN without the need for cloud.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Regards,
Gautam Jain

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 06:01 AM »
There is also the free Sticky7List in this category from the maker of WhizFolders

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:59 AM »

Hello Jim,

Thanks for mentioning about Notezilla

We will be adding back network support in few weeks. You will be able to send sticky notes via LAN without the need for cloud.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Regards,
Gautam Jain
-conceptworld (June 27, 2013, 05:56 AM)

Thanks for the heads-up Gautam! That is good news - and will no doubt cause me to upgrade when that happens. As long as all my notes will still be stored locally and not on your servers. Is this the case?

I know when the new Notezilla version was announced you had said that the cloud version was necessary to offer smartphone versions. I don’t know if you ever got the smartphone apps off the ground - I don’t see anything in the Google Play store. But to be honest I use Evernote for stuff I think I might need available on all platforms. I wouldn’t be using Notezilla on my Android phone also - too many notes in too many different places!

Thanks again!

Jim

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I love Stickies!

I donated to Tom Revell long before I was even aware of DC. As a matter of fact, I believe that Stickies was the first program for which I sent a donation. Got me off to a good start. I was surprised to see the old forum still there. So many developers have moved to "Get Satisfaction" or ZenDesk for support. It's not posted to very much but it appears that Tom still replies on occasion.

Actually, I just decided to "break the ice" and posted a "State of Stickies" thread, just saying that some time has passed, and asking what's going on. He's doing some quiet feature refining, etc. But he checks the forum about twice a day, even after all this time! So if you have a support question, even if he's not trumpeting announcements, he'll get back to you!
:Thmbsup:

My "killer feature" I use is "multi-Undo" so that if you are making annotations with the "pen" and you mess up, you can take back a couple of steps before risking ruining your sticky. This is *crucial* if you put some work into carefully making a diagram!

So there was a point where he had that as a special "spin-off" beta-feature that wasn't in the main trunk for a while. So I just bided my time and did life. Meanwhile, this year one of the new Betas has it back in, so it was nice to upgrade and get the usual bug improvements behind the scenes. : )

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:48 PM by TaoPhoenix »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46 PM »
I downloaded the latest version last week - V.7.1e - but twice now it has frozen in my sys tray after running for a few hours. I had to end the process to kill it. I wonder if it has problems with Windows 7 x64.

Jim

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I downloaded the latest version last week - V.7.1e - but twice now it has frozen in my sys tray after running for a few hours. I had to end the process to kill it. I wonder if it has problems with Windows 7 x64.

Jim

Yikes!
Up to you if you want to post a support question on the forum!

beethoven

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 12:43 AM »
can only confirm - have been using stickies for several years and really like it. Once or twice I had an issue and raised on the forum and got a response very quickly - it's a gem.