ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

<< < (12/15) > >>

app103:
Steamed baby potatoes taste awesome hot or cold.
-Renegade (July 11, 2014, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Little baby red potatoes, in a pressure cooker for about 7 minutes, then chilled. Eat them like apples. They are quite sweet.  :)

Renegade:
I'm a fan of normal gingerale soda, so i need to get my hands on some store-bought alcoholic gingerale and see if it tastes good enough to brew my own.
-mouser (July 11, 2014, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dude... You are missing out. The stuff you get in the store is NOTHING like what you can do.

The recipe I posted above is kind of lame. It's very basic and really only for you to have fun. It can be improved upon a LOT. However, it's not so much about the taste as about the adventure. The above recipe can be tweaked easily to come up with a very nice ginger ale. Sub in a champagne yeast, etc., and you'll end up with some real beauty.

Renegade:
Steamed baby potatoes taste awesome hot or cold.
-Renegade (July 11, 2014, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Little baby red potatoes, in a pressure cooker for about 7 minutes, then chilled. Eat them like apples. They are quite sweet.  :)
-app103 (July 11, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yup. That works too. Sub in yams and you're talking some serious candy! :D

TaoPhoenix:
Heh I've been reading lots of "Star Trek TNG walkthroughs" so I'm full of comments (from the better episodes) about "added nice complexity" and all that.

So I shall take the Recipe Thread into new territory with a dark and murky one!

It's a paraphrase from a SciFi (Non-Trek) short story (whose exact title is escaping me at the moment - note to self check my anthologies).

It's a brilliant sideways show-not-tell about tough times in the gritty near future. You can vary it, and it goes something like this:

--------

Fried Rats

Ingredients:
2-5 rats
2-5 grams of salt

Instructions:
Make a fire out of street trash
Fry the rats to desired finish
Add the salt to taste

Serves 5-20 depending on the number of rats used.

-----------------

Insert your haunting minor key music here!

:tellme:

40hz:
Lately we've been enjoying something a friend introduced us to which she referred to as "how grown-ups eat watermelon."

1. Cube a medium sized seedless watermelon. Cubes should be about 1/2" - 3/4" square (i.e. big enough to be speared and stay on a fork.)

2. Put cubes in a large plastic salad bowl, sprinkle a generous handful of chopped fresh basil over the melon cubes, and (optional*) add about 2 cups of grape tomatoes (cut in half) to the mix.

3. Pour "a moderate quantity" (1/2 - 3/4 cup approx. and adjust to taste) of your favorite balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing* over all and mix gently so that everything is more or less evenly distributed.

4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two to let the flavors blend. (Especially good when left overnight.)

5. Remove from fridge, gently mix again and allow to warm up a bit. Salad should be served cool - but not too cold - for best flavor.

--------------------

Notes:

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

1. We've tried a few different readily available vinaigrettes and think Cardini's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing works best. At least so far. (No MSG and low fat to boot!)  8)

2. My GF likes the contrast of texture and flavors the watermelon/tomato combination provides. I find it distracting. Fortunately, the tomato flavor doesn't invade the watermelon all that much, so I just pick around them when I'm filling my dish. This is a win-win since I don't care for tomatoes in this particular dish - and my not taking any leaves more for my GF, who really does enjoy having them in there. ;D

3. Since we started doing it up this way, my GF and I have probably eaten more watermelon in the last few weeks than we have in the last 10 years. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version