ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Protests in Istanbul

<< < (3/4) > >>

eleman:
Thank you for the support.

@eleman: I hadn't realised you would be able to see the DC Forum. No Internet blackout?
-IainB (June 05, 2013, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope, this is a country with a GDP exceeding one trillion dollars. I guess you can't turn off the internet above a certain threshold, it gets too costly.

Tinman57:
  I just wonder what the U.S. military bases in Turkey are doing while all this is happening.  You can just about bet that they're all on base restrictions right now.

IainB:
This Turkish TV gameshow host must have had some guts (post from HotAir.com):
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images or video links.)
Wow: Turkish game show host defies government censorship by making every answer protest-related
posted at 10:01 pm on June 5, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

In which the Turkish Guy Smiley shows CNN how it’s done:

Perhaps one of the most striking attempts to pierce and criticize the veil of censorship on Turkish media came from a Quiz show host whose “Guess the Word” program airs. As citizens of Turkey watched with their jaws on the floor (and many standing up and clapping in front of their TV sets according to my social media feeds), he asked his quests to guess words such as “resistance,” “censorship,” twitter”, “tear gas”, and more. He finished his 70 questions with questions whose answers were “resign” and apologize.

The next day, he was not allowed to air live and his fate remains uncertain.

Hat tip, Ace, who compiles some of the best questions and answers from the game show host with “B**** of Iron.”

1- A journey undertaken to see, to have fun: GEZI –name of the park that is at the center of the protests.
    …

4- An activity geared towards trying to change or improve a situation: A PROTEST [EYLEM]

5- A coming together around a set of ideas without being divided: UNITY

6- The metaphor for understanding what the facts are: TO WAKE UP

7- The people Mustafa Kemal Ataturk said should be “the most important representatives of human dignity and qualities, defense of nation and freedom of speeech”:YOUTH

8- The ability to make decisions according to correct, meaningful interpretation: COMMON SENSE

…

12-Democratic solution box: THE BALLOT BOX

…

14-The person that turns the right into not right and the protester into terrorist: PROVOCATEUR

…

22-To resist, to not give up: RESISTANCE

23-To find an event or an application as unfair, and not accept it and resist it: PROTEST

24-To be able to decide without undue pressure from outside: FREEDOM

Twitter went wild among Turkish users as the show aired.

Let’s keep host Ali Ihsan Varol in our thoughts and prayers. He told a Turkish paper that his situation is “somewhat complicated.”

The last two questions of the show:

To voluntarily give up a position: Resign

The act that makes a person bigger by asking to be forgiven for wrong actions: Apologize

The video is obviously not in English, but you can follow along with the translation a bit, here, and there’s no missing the undercurrent of emotion as Varol barely veils his intention and the contestant and audience start to realize what’s going on. I can imagine Turkish citizens standing up and cheering at their screens.

--- End quote ---

eleman:
Here's a nice and fun summary of the crisis.

And here's a catchy song by the protesters (with English subtitles).

The issue is dead serious, yet we try to preserve our sense of humor. It helps.

wraith808:
The issue is dead serious, yet we try to preserve our sense of humor. It helps.
-eleman (June 06, 2013, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess that was my point with my earlier post.  I couldn't believe that in the midst of such turmoil, the level of humor and preparation that took.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version