ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Protests in Istanbul

(1/4) > >>

eleman:
Well, I know politics per se is not in the focus of DC, but tomorrow morning I'll be at Taksim square in Istanbul, joining the protests against the increasingly authoritarian government. If any DC members are around (and is willing to get a sniff of pepper spray from the police) I'd be glad to meet them there. My phone number is +90-541-3770399.

Çağrı

wraith808:
For online tracking of it, there's a tumblr: http://resistaksim.tumblr.com/

Warning- some graphic images there.  More than pepper spray being used, so be careful if you go!

40hz:
@eleman - please be careful? Catching a whiff of pepper spray is one thing - and bad enough. But bullets, or a personal encounter with police riot baton, will likely leave you with some much more serious physical damage.

Luck. :Thmbsup:

eleman:
Well I was at Taksim square for 7 hours yesterday. I got 4 shots of pepper spray canisters falling close by. My eyes were burnt badly despite swimming glasses I had to buy after the first shot of tear gas. Operating masks helped a bit with the breathing, but not much.

Police often attacked protestors with pressurized water, tear gas, and batons. Due to continuous police harassment (such as this one), peaceful protests began to take a turn for more violent action.

The protests were a culmination of events where the government increased the repression levels, confident in its tight control of the media and Islamist voter base. Throughout May, police repression and unpopular government policies followed one another. First the police attacked May Day protestors in a fashion similar to the recent brutality. Then a bombing took place in a town near the Syrian border. It is not clear who did it, but government claims that the Syrian regime perpetrated it. The majority of the people does not believe in that. Conspiracy theories are numerous, but there's a telling detail: People in the bombed town (Reyhanlı) protested against the prime minister and his policies of meddling in Syrian affairs, as well as harboring Al-Qaida fighters and mercenaries who fight against the Syrian regime. The prime minister was able to visit the town only after two weeks, during which the police achieved full control over the town. Imagine George Bush visiting ground zero only on 25th of September, no sooner.

Well, I'm not inclined to make any guesses about the future, but it looks like some things are about to happen around here.

mouser:
Glad to hear you are safe, eleman.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version