topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: GUI for DISM  (Read 10789 times)

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: GUI for DISM
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Looking for a GUI for DISM

Basically, I want it to look like "Turn Windows features on or off", only working off cab files in a DS (distribution share).  Also, as a bonus, would be nice to be able to use this booted from a flash drive, on a system that is offline.

There are some existing GUI's for DISM, but they don't list and explain the different packages, with checkboxes next to them (the checkboxes to add/remove the packages).  Package dependencies could show up highlighted on the list.  Hovering over a highlighted package could show which currently installed, or about to be installed package(s) require it.

I guess this isn't exactly a "coding snack", but it should be easy if the underlying foundation is already there, and you just need a GUI for it.

The original title for this was "GUI for pckmgr".  I found out pckmgr was deprecated, and replaced with DISM.  I got the idea that maybe pckmgr had the ability to work on both online and offline systems.  The "offline" part is a little confusing: it only works on WIM files (for making custom Windows installers).  DISM is the same.  The semantic difference is the "installer" versus the "installation".  They call the WIM file an "offline" system.  I think of an offline system as a windows installation that isn't running.  I am pretty sure that both pckmgr and DISM don't work on a windows installation, only on a mounted WIM file.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:00 AM by mraeryceos »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: GUI for DISM
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:39 PM »
For Windows XP there is a piece of freeware called 'nLite'. That should give you more than enough to play with. I am sure there are similar pieces of software for Vista and higher. I never bothered to look for these though.

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 02:13 AM »
Thanks Shades.  I edited my original post to better explain what I want.

I used nLite back in the day.  I think the current popular one is RT7 Lite http://www.rt7lite.c...m/rt-se7en-lite.html.  I thought I would go with the Microsoft version, and have been using Windows Embedded Standard 7 instead.  However, WES7 does not include ""Turn Windows features on or off", because they figure that isn't needed by professionals, as professionals would use the command line version called DISM instead.  Right after I get to a good stopping point on WES7, I will switch to WES8, oops, I mean WE8S (man, why did they have to keep switching their naming conventions???)

There are other forums more closely related to this topic, but there isn't a place to ask people to work on something for a donation.  I could and do go to other places to pay for "coding snacks", but here I hope to find someone that likes the idea, and wants to do it even if money isn't a motivation.  That's the best!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Something along the lines of DISMUI then but that also has descriptions, (DISMUI already does dependencies).

DISMUI is free, you need to register at the site before you can download it though.

DISMUI is available for free. If you need a special branded version of DISMUI please contact us for more details.
The tool now supports Windows Embedded 8 Standard!

clip_image002[6].jpgSOLVED: GUI for DISM

mraeryceos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30 PM »
LOL  ;D  I had downloaded this a few days ago but hadn't tried it yet!  Looks just right!  Thanks!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 09:42 PM »
mraeryceos, can we mark this thread as solved?