topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Opera 15 Preview  (Read 24686 times)

pilgrim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Cogito ergo ?
    • View Profile
    • Pilgrim's Page
    • Donate to Member
Re: Opera 15 Preview
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 08:21 AM »
XP.

http://pcsupport.abo...ers/f/removeiexp.htm
Unfortunately, there is no safe method to remove Internet Explorer from Windows XP.

Internet Explorer is more than just a browser. It works as an underlying technology behind a number of internal Windows XP processes including updating, basic Windows functionality and more.

There are methods outlined on some other websites that appear to completely uninstall Internet Explorer and provide workarounds for the problems that removing it causes, but I don't recommend them.
In my experience, removing IE causes too many problems to be worth it, even with the workarounds.

Windows 7.

http://lifehacker.co...ernet-explorer-kinda
Since Internet Explorer's rendering engine is also used throughout Windows and with third-party applications as an embeddable component, it won't completely uninstall—only the executable is actually removed.
I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 11:09 AM »
Can we please talk about Opera not IE? :)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26 AM »

Guess not. Development is SLOW. . . still so much critical stuff missing, why did they release it so early on in development?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Guess not. Development is SLOW. . . still so much critical stuff missing, why did they release it so early on in development?

My guess is that because they made a big splash saying they were ditching Presto, they had to release a "placeholder" issue. It's fairly common when a company does big structural internal work - you release something a bit rough on the edges and hope to polish it later. The signature case is MS's Windows Vista.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30 PM »

My guess is that because they made a big splash saying they were ditching Presto, they had to release a "placeholder" issue. It's fairly common when a company does big structural internal work - you release something a bit rough on the edges and hope to polish it later. The signature case is MS's Windows Vista.

There was quite a bit of lag between them saying "We're ditching presto" and them releasing the place holder. I could understand if this came out shortly, but... after waiting that long, release something that gives hope. Or wait until you've got something worth showing.

Google Chrome would be a better example--they announced it, pretty much immediately released it. That initial release was comparable to (though a bit more fleshed out) Opera 15--and they rapidly improved it and haven't slowed down since.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 05:11 AM »
Them ditching Presto is probably amongst the stupidest decisions they could have made. I mean, Webkit is one thing, but they seem to have lost all the features that made Opera the technological leader that other browsers followed (mouse gestures, tabs and lots of other functionality). Right now, it's lost that all.

I'm not impressed, and will probably end up switching to Chrome some time in the next ~6 months. :-(

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Them ditching Presto is probably amongst the stupidest decisions they could have made. I mean, Webkit is one thing, but they seem to have lost all the features that made Opera the technological leader that other browsers followed (mouse gestures, tabs and lots of other functionality). Right now, it's lost that all.

Unfortunately for them, nobody paid attention to them... except the other browsers and a hanful of us. I think this move may pay off though. Ditching google is a popular trend... they may set themselves up to be THE alternative to Chrome for people looking to ditch google but stick with webkit. I won't be surprised if they find greater success than they've ever known, all the while alienating every one of their pre-webkit users.

Strange times.

majoMO

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30 AM »
I'm not impressed, and will probably end up switching to Chrome some time in the next ~6 months. :-(

I switched to Maxthon; really nice browser.

8)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Opera 15 is released, but it doesn’t mean we're relaxing now. With our new rapid-release cycle, we are already hard at work on the next versions. Right now, we are focusing on synchronization (aka Opera Link), enhanced tab management (visual tabs and so on) and support for themes – and these are just a few of the features you can expect to find soon in our next releases! So, stay tuned for some of the most loved features to return soon, better than ever.

:o ...this is no longer considered a preview. Featureless Opera is officially released.

verszipo

• Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 01:51 PM »
I'll stick with Opera 12 until either they re-add all the missing features into Opera 15 or the current one stops working, in which case i'll search for something else.

As somebody said, if we wanted Chrome we would have used chrome.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07 PM »
I'll stick with Opera 12 until either they re-add all the missing features into Opera 15 or the current one stops working, in which case i'll search for something else.

I think you can count on finding something else.